Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reimage 10.0 SD card to a 9.1 sd card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael2000

Technical User
Jun 10, 2008
CA
Hi All.

I got a R10 sd card for a 9.1 system. Apparently from what I was told, Avaya is sending out these cards and no longer the 9.x ones.

Apparently there is a procedure to convert the cards, but so far the searching I have done doesn't show anything.

I know how to upgrade / downgrade SD cards with Manager and have done it many times, however, the ID for the 10 card is longer than the license 9.x SD card, and different, so my concern is how to make the SD card think it is the license SD card number.

Regards

Put it in your computer and start manager.
Select file->advanced->format IPOffice SD card.
Then recreate it with the right version manager/working directory.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I'm not sitting here with a R10 SD card in front of me, but I'll wager that the FK number on an R10 card is 11+whatwouldhavebeentheold10digitFK. And once recreated, the FK will show as in manager in the old 10 digit format (14xxxxxxxx or something like that).

Make sure you use manager to reformat the card, not windows. Windows would be bad.

GB

Hi all.

Thanks for the responses.

I will verify with my boss that I can "burn" the card (in case something goes wrong).

I will need to get the license SD card Dongle changed, but that won't be hard..

And OH YEAH... I'll use manager to format / recreate the card. Don't want the watermark going bye bye. Then I really WILL have a dead card!

Regards

So not to hijack Azrael2000's thread, but I have 2 new R10 SD cards for a upgrade and the question I have is, if I use those SD cards does that cut down on the upgrade time..?

The end is near!

Comon guys, this is the case from release 6.0 so i cannot imaging that you never had to recreate a SD card.

BAZINGA!

mojoputter:

I am going to get permission to try on one card here.

I'll let you know what happens... and you can go from there.

tlpeter: I know what you mean... I must've done hundred recreates / rebuilds for testing customer systems on my lab.

Regards

Appreciate that, I have the upgrade going on tomorrow night so it would be nice to know how that goes

The end is near!

Tlpeter, I've never recreated a SD card to do an upgrade, always just used the upgrade wizard. If i can just recreate the SD card, pop it in the IP500 and reboot and then load the license that should save a lot of time.

The end is near!

Yes using recreate saves a lot of time over using the upgrade wizard. It also seems to work better (especially if you downgrade). You can speed it up even further if you know you will not need any additional language files by removing the unneeded language files from the text file it makes the SD card based on.

I made a FAQ but it is really simply

It only takes maybe 3-5 minutes to recreate the SD card with the extra languages removed. Far cry from the 30-60 minutes the upgrade wizard can take.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I recognise the content of that FAQ, elaborated on and changed a little perhaps? .....;-)

nte-transmall.gif

I had a colleague reveal the way to do this to me and then I posted the FAQ later. If it was posted before hand (most likely where he got it from lol) just let me know I will gladly post due credits in that FAQ.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Now I just have to figure out in PLDS how to change the Host ID # to the number thats printed on the front of the SD cards

The end is near!

Why change the license host?

BAZINGA!

He has to change the host id (i assume he means the SD card dongle number) so the licenses will work on the card.

I was told by my supervisor not to do anything with the card. He wants a new 10 license ordered, as apparently the SR's are sending out IPOSS upgrades.

They don't tell ME about it... I'm waiting for the day a tech doesn't come and talk to me... when the system goes unlicensed, I will laugh like an OCD (Old Creepy Dude) and point the tech to the SR.

Actually, since I'm a CD (Christian Dude), I wouldn't do that, but I would be asking why they didn't do what I told them to.

Meh.

Regards

But why rehost? Is the other dongle broken?
If a dongle comes with 10.0 software then you just need to recreate it on 9.1 and that is it.
The licenses can be assigned to the SD card anyway.

BAZINGA!

You are correct azrael2000, if I use the new SD card, the host ID printed on the card has to match the number in the XML file

The end is near!

tlpeter:

This is a new install.
The unit came with a R10 sd card, which has a different dongle number than the license I was given.
So the sd card should have a watermark with the R10 SD number, correct?

If I try to put a 9.1 license, with a different dongle number onto it, it will show system unlicensed.

regards

You lost me again.
Which license had been given? By excel sheet or xml or did you get a lac code?

BAZINGA!

Hi all.

Tlpeter: I received the excel spreadsheet. However the last 10 digits of the R10 sd card did not match what I was sent.

After much waving of arms, the supplier realized they sent me the wrong spreadsheet.

After they sent me the correct spreadsheet, I was able to downgrade with the Manager, and then put the correct file on the card.

Went like jack the bear.

Thanks all for your help.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back