Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regular Server Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulHerschell

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
NL
My ISP is running Windows 2000 servers and reboots them everyday to ensure that they are running at their maximum efficiency. Is this a usual practice or should I be concerned about this?

Thanks

Paul H

Could be they're bouncing people like me off. I'm hosting a couple of domains on my PC at home, and my ISP officially doesn't allow web serving and FTP serving from residential accounts. I get away with it because traffic is low, and my IP address hasn't changed since September. However, if they reboot their servers, I end up with a new IP address and have to change my domain registry and httpd.conf files. This may be a pre-emptive strike against users like me who host a couple of small personal sites for experimentation and learning, yet can't afford $400+ per month per domain for dedicated business accounts. There should be no technical need for them to reboot every day.

I agree with "newposter" - there shouldn't be a technical reason why Win2k servers have to be rebooted every night.

However - the performance of poorly configured servers may diminish over time, so this could be a way to hide the fact that they cannot configure their servers properly!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Surprised you are hosting at home though when my new ISP charges as little as £40 UK pounds sterling p.a. for a 10Mb Unix site (although mine with 25Mb, Windows 2000, ASP, ODBC, SSL etc is nearer £100 p.a.). Their prices are low and features high but there may be something in what you are saying. Think I may confront them as overseas customers may get booted of my site frequently if they do this reboot everyday. Not so bad if only for a couple of minutes but some customers may be doing 1 hour file downloads that they don't want to start again.

Thanks again

PaulH

Some problems with Microsoft applications not releasing threads has caused problems. Depending upon the amount of traffic a reboot could result in better performance. But most places that I have supported would do this on a weekly basis, not daily.

They could be being hacked, my mate was running a IIS server and it kept rebooting by itself a closer inspection showed the CODE RED virus.

Scary, your ISP may have been compromised see if you can find out if they have SP2 and all the critical updates installed, if not change your ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back