Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry values Win98 SE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebot

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
How do I replace original registry values for IE 5.5?? Evil search engine "Sureseeker"inserted itself as my default search eng.in IE5.5...dont know how to restore original values so the "Custom Search" function will work again...any ideas appreciated

zebot,

Open Notepad and copy and paste the following between the lines and save the file as searchfix.reg. Double-click on the file to merge the contents into the registry.
=====================BEGIN CUT======================

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"=""CustomizeSearch"="
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl]
"Provider"="yaho"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main]
"Search Page"="===========================END CUT=========================

If you see a SearchBar entry under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main], delete it.

reghakr

Thanks reghakr-
This wont put "MSN" search in the registry as default will it??? lol.. Just wanna be able to choose which search engine again, under that "Smart assistant" thing..zebot most appreciates ur help

No doubt, since this is the default (Microsoft) setting. It can be easily changerd using the Customize button, then choose the AutoSearch Settings button.

reghakr

Thanks so much reghakr-your answer seems to solved my irritating problem of losing my "Search" customize function in IE 5.5
Since I started working on this-my keyboard now enters a - dash, every time i hit
-the return button,, in emails,text msgs,anything...? "ENTER" button wore out?? new keyboard? reload windows98,lol? PS--this happend before I edited the registry with ur fix for the search thing... I owe u lunch...zebot thanks again

I'd have to say it's probably the keyboard itself.
See if you can borrow another. That will easily tell you yes or no.

reghakr

Yeah that was what I thought, thanks again reghakr.I'll round up another board somewhere.-
zebot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back