Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry/Software/Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liaquat

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
US
I have a situation with this software install.Its basically Macromedia based which has to save certain settings into a Hkey-Current-User. I already have a imported file that I click on to add these settings to users registry by logging on as each individually.
Does anyone know of a utility that can add/ Inject entries into user.dat without looging on OR loading the HIVE from regedit32.

I really cant do this if I have to modify 50 profiles manually.

Thanks in advance.
Asghar

If your talking about flash player or shockwave the make msi packages for both. Using the package shuould elimiate the need for the local user settings. Or if you have to have specific settings make your own msi.

Playing with user.dat is a non-starter.

You have several ways to add registry entries, from pushing the changes in Group Policy, to the logon script, and through the Scheduled Tasks control. A registry change to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER is not a really big deal. See if the following notes help, otherwise advise us all again that the solution did not work for you:

Thanks for your help guys. Your feedback indeed has opened up a lot of new stuff for me. One last thing how would I modify user.dat for NT machines.(same Original scenerio)

Leave user.dat to the OS.

There is a rich set of tools to "push" changes, and user.dat is the least likely source of any user configuration or issue.

Along with some other OS dependent values, user.dat is essentially a copy of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER portion of the registry.

Please, use traditional registry utilities to modify this. Messing with user.dat in a user profile is the least desirable way to handle a registry "push".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back