Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbrick

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
I'm starting to tackle a change of Profiles which requires Registry edits. I plan to back up the Registry since, as Windows says, a bad edit might make my system unnusable. My problem/question is: to restore a Registry or a System state, one has to get into the working Windows system which was just trashed! Is this dichotomy true? Anyway around it, like restoring the Registry from the ERD?

2) a follow-up to an earlier thread. If full copies of WINNT and Documents and Settings folders are made (from a working system) and later the system gets corrupted, I don't see why one can't delete the corrupted system (WINNT and D&S folders), which can be done completely with a Linux Rescue system, copy the raw backed up folders to the System Volume, and it now just works as it did when the backup copies were made. How does Windows know you did this (which, of course, would make Windows mad and punish you..)?

Rod B.

My own reply. I found a registry program that I think works. It's called ERUNT, is free, and can be found at .
It makes a backup of the complete registry and (by default) saves it in a WINNT (or WINDOWS) subfolder which is supposed to be accessible under the emergency boot/restore process.

The site also gives a good technical description of the process, and why Windows' own registry backup is worthless.

Rod B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back