Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry gets repaired every boot in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbuilder

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
Brand new machine was running fine in the first day.
6702 MSI NEO 64 bit mother board. AMD 64 bit 3000+ processor. 80g SATA hard drive. CDRW and DVD/RW drives. 1024mb DDR 3200 speed memory. Floppy with flash readers. 360Watt power supply. XP Home OS. System ran and still runs great. I even updated to the latest BIOS. The problem happened in a five minute span of time. I turned the machine off and unplugged it. Plugged it back up and turned it on and after the XP splash screen it scans the registry fixing numerous files. After it fixes it reboots back into the OS. fine. This happened 4 times and then it quit and has not done it since. Any ideas on what could have caused this in the first place? I cannot get it to happen again and the custormer does not want it back until I figure out why.

Corrupt files can be caused by many things, but most likely Hard Drive minor (or major) errors.

Right-Click all of your Hard Drives and click Properties. Then go to the Tools Tab and choose "Check Now". Select "Automatically Fix File System Errors". It will ask if you want to schedule a Disk Check for next Boot Up. Choose Yes.

It will make corrections to the File System if necessary and attempt the recovery of Corrupt Files.

It is not a problem unless it start happening again.

Windows XP Service Pack 1 contains Registry resiliency code. Maybe this is what you saw in action.

815011 - Cannot Disable the Registry Repair and Recovery Feature in Windows XP SP1

814545 - Registry Repair and Recovery May Inadvertently Delete a Subset of Keys

Actually I got it do it agin after I let it sit unplugged, while I responded to an e-mail. It says it is checking the consistancy of the drive. It says something about Index.map and Objects.map, but it goes so quickly I cannot read it all. It is removing or correcting these files and many more. Is there a way I can pause that and find out what it is doing? and why?

Sounds like you are talking about ChkDsk running (and nothing to do with any Registry files).

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Use the view / filter option and search for Winlogon in the Event Viewer (System). You can try the same method and look for Chkdsk (Application).

316506 - Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back