Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry editing of XP to get Alarms to sound in SK99

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipw2

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
When I shifted 4 years ago from win98SE to Win 2K, I lost the alarm sound for appointments in sidekick 99. I searched the web and found that by editing the registry, I could restore the alarms in sidekick. It worked so well that I forgot about this problem.

So today I got a new computer XP and suddenly remembered the problem. (Of course I didn't save the printout with the edits, assuming they'd be the same.)

Does anyone know how to edit the registry of XP to get it to sound the alarms in SK99? Or any other solution to this problem? I looked at the FAQs but nothing seemed appropriate. Does anyone remember where the regedit for win2K was stored?

Thanks.

I am not sure if this helps - I have a hard drive that had win2K installed on it - a search of this showed regedit.exe in a folder off this called 'WINNT'

Mick

Thank you for your response. I was unclear.

I can open regedit on my XP machine. I can even find the item for the starfish alarm in the registry. The value for that alarm is empty. So what I need are the specific numbers to enter into the Registry item for the starfish alarm.

Alternatively if someone could point me to a good way to reconstruct such numbers that would be good.

There was a page devolted to this on the web 4 years ago, but somehow I have misplaced my printout since them.

I looked at the registry on my old machine but nothing leaped out at me. There were a lot of entry's for starfish and sidekick but none that said alarm.

Sorry I was unclear on the previous post.

This rings a bell - sorry for the pun! Have you checked all the threads rather than the FAQ's? I have a feeling of dejavu here - Jim or others may remember.........

Dear Philip & All,

I don't think it is in the posts or FAQs here, I will look through the data that I downloaded from starfish's website but I don't remember it being there either.
Not tonight though, I have an appointment with a bottle or two of wine!
;-)
Regards
Jim

Dear All
Got this

Q: My alarms aren’t working. What do I do?
A: Alarms will not sound if you have not loaded the Calendar view into memory. You can eliminate this by selecting Calendar as the default opening view.

AND
Q: I like to use various .WAV files in my Sidekick alarms. I know that the .WAV files should be in the Windows\Media folder, but how many of the .WAV files can be seen by Sidekick 98?
A: Sidekick 98 will see the first 128 .WAV files in the Windows\Media folder.

from FAQ Page1 HERE:
SEE ALSO

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Thanks for the work. But I have Calendar view as my default opening view.

The packrat in me triumphed. I have found my printout and it solved my problem. Essentially (sp?) in Regedit, I find the Starfish sidekick alarm entry and type in the name of the wav file I want to sound for alarms. (Chord.wav will always work, but I hate the sound.)

If there is a way of posting the PDF of the Starfish technical note, I'd appreciate if someone would tell me. Somehow the Acrobat 7 reader that I also got with the new computer won't let me select the relevant text and insert it here.

Thanks for looking everyone.

I can answer the 'copy' issue!

You should either have a 'Basic' toolbar with a 'Select' option, or on the Menu Bar, go to 'Tools' - 'Basic' - 'Select'. This will give you the item you require, right click to copy to clipboard.

Should work.....

Mick

I can select text on other pDF files just fine. But the PDF of the scanned file I cannot seem to get. All I can do is get images of the text. Anyone who wants the PDF should let me know.

Alternatively I would love to upload the PDF here to expand the knowledge base.

Dear philipw2,

Just email me the image file, reduce it to 300dpi and save it as a .jpg so it doesn't take too long to download and I will run it through the OCR program I have and then email it back as text and you can post it as a FAQ.

Jim

The PDF is small, only 105K. But I cannot seem to find your email. Where do they hide these things.

Dear philipw2,

Go to
faq807-3761
^by clicking on that link

and scroll to the bottom and the link:
Send a Comment to James33 About This FAQ
and click on that and you will have a pop up window that will allow you to send me an email and I will reply... so then you have my email.
The reason is stated on the personal profile pages and is to avoid exposing our email address to harvesting bots (Spam).

It is late here (Ireland) and I am going to bed, so it will be tomorrow evening before I reply.

Regards
Jim

Dear All,
Thanks to Philipw2, here is the Quote from the Starfish site about this problem.

AlarmsNotOnNTStar.jpg

Alarms not sounding under Windows NT
(Ref. #991012-0020)

Description:
I have TrueSync Desktop installed on my Windows NT system. When I create an event, and set an alarm to go off, I never hear the alarm sound. Why?

Solution:
Currently, TrueSync Desktop's alarms do not sound correctly in Windows NT (and maybe 2000 and XP!!). We apologize for any inconvenience and we are looking into the issue.

One workaround that a user has reported is to manually create a registry key entry as follows:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\TrueSync Desktop\Alarm\.Current
In the \.Current key, change the value data in the default string to “chord.wav”.

Here's how to enter this data:
*WARNING* Be extremely careful when editing your registry to delete ONLY what is specified here. Deleting or changing anything else could result in serious damage to your Windows installation and make it impossible to even boot into windows or any other applications!
We recommend backing up your registry before proceeding by making a backup of user.dat and system.dat.
These are hidden files and can be found in the Windows folder.
Consult your Windows documentation and your network administrator for additional help backing up your registry files.

1. Go to Start | Run
2. Type in “regedit” (without the quotes).
3. Press OK. This starts the Registry Editor
4. Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key (click on the little '+' sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
5. Expand the AppEvents key.
6. Expand the Schemes key.
7. Expand the Apps key
8. Right click the Apps key and choose New | Key. A new key is added under Apps (probably called “New Key #1”)
9. Right click the new key, and choose Rename.
10. Type in the name “TrueSync Desktop” (without the quotes)
11. Right click the new TrueSync Desktop key and select New | Key. A new key appears under the TrueSync Desktop key.
12. Rename this new key “Alarm” (again no quotes)
13. Right click the Alarm key, and select New | Key. A new key appears under the Alarm key.
14. Rename this key “.Current” (no quotes).
Note there is a Period before the word “Current”.
15. Now on the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double click the “(Default)” string entry. This brings up the Edit String dialog.
16. In the “Value Data” field, type “chord.wav” (no quotes)
17. Exit from the Registry Editor.

Please note that these steps have not been fully tested by Starfish engineers, so we cannot guarantee that they will always work. We are still working on fixing this behaviour in TrueSync Desktop

There you go then, I will post this on the siderealb0x website too in FAQ page2.
Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back