Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry Cleaners good , bad, Tests 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Post, Beer4meok. I can't believe you haven't gotten more replys on it. I was using regscrub but I'll switch to JV16. Thanks Bob Meta-Rule: The Ends Do Not Excuse The Means.

Beer4meok
That's a real eye opener. Hard to believe. Are the others all MS?

I was so impressed by this article, I uninstalled System Mechanic.

Now the question is which of the three to use or maybe use all three? I asked Lockergnome but he said they haven't tested them yet.

Ace Utilities is probably the more sophisticated of the three as far as website but they charge $29.95.

Well, after years of System Mechanic for my 98 and ME, I figured it was good for XP too.......well I dont have to continue this do I???
Any ways, I like Sys Mechanic alot(for 98,ME), but for XP, safer to keep away !

Tried jv16...damn easy and free! I usually find good or better tools and software, in the free section! The jv16 tool has a similar functionality as Regcleaner...I've used that for some time. All the functions/tools are simply laid out and self explanatory...mostly except the mysterious Reg Fixer! Tried it out (after a full reg backup) but showed no problems found or fixed! As with all reg tools, backup is important and the software provides a backup/restore (for the registry functions at least) of what it does.

I partcularly like the temp file tool, makes cleaning a snap and allows you to keep files that were recently used, or not, you decide.

There is even a way to try out and test your current reg tool against a set of reg data to see if it is up to snuff. Goto the link above for more info.

Try it I'm sure you'll like it!

That jv16 is amazing. I assumed (almost newbie-like) that Norton Systemworks was the king of the hill. Boy was I wrong. I actually notice a speed difference after running jv16, and this is an almost new 2Ghz notebook with little crud on it to gum up the registry....

jv16 is no longer free, you can download it for a 30 days free trial, and after that, you must pay $ 29.00 for the code\license, if you want to continue using the JV16 utility...

The 1.30.196 vesion should still work, more info here on the 1.4 version
I havent had a chance to look at it yet,nothing good stays
free forever.

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Beer4meok:
Can you tell me where I can get jv14 v1.20.196?
All my searches and downloads result in v.14 regardless of the earlier version quoted on websites.

I kept the original exe. file in My Documents,
keep searching or give the guy some cash, he sure earned it.

Dave

From the Lagna list
Grab It While You Can
This is sure to test the bandwidth limits of this server, so I suggest you either grab this right away, or plan on waiting a few days, and trying it later:

Fred: Like many subscribers to your list I've been disappointed at the sneaky way in which the jv16 Power Tools have been converted into shareware. I have reverted to using the original freeware RegCleaner, which is still out there (though not on the jv16 site!), e.g. at
Probably a good idea for people to get a copy asap! Best wishes John

Thanks, John!

Dave

Jv16 seems to be very good indeed. Cleaned my registry with System Mechanic found only one bad entry. Used JV16 right after it and it found 1276 bad entries. It could fix 181 of them and I deleted the rest. Tested the system afterwards and no problems at all. It is worth every buck they asked for. It even found some Symantec entries in the registry which I could not delete manually. It cleaned them up ok. Regards

Jurgen

Registry cleaner recommendations?
thread779-755465

Easy Cleaner does seem to work well, but I couldn't find any documentation that it does registry defrag and compression after cleaning.

I tried the eval of Complete Registry Cleaner on Win2K and it seemed to work pretty well. Haven't tried it on XP yet.

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

I have been using JV16 for a long time. I had version 1.3. When I last tried to use it I got a window saying that the program was too old - and I should update it. When I checked the update site I found out that I would now have to pay for it! This has made me very annoyed as while I don't mind that the new version (1.4) isn't free anymore, I resent that somehow the old version doesn't work. This is the same as giving something away, and then stealing it back!
I have now downloaded the Regcleaner version that Beer4meok gave the link to - it works fine.
If the JV16 organization had simply asked payement for the new version - I would probably have paid it. As they somehow disabled the version they had given me in order to force me into paying - no way!

Kim.

KimLeece,

Did you see "Jmatt's" comments in this earlier link?

Registry cleaner recommendations?
Thread779-755465

Linney -
No, I hadn't seen that - thank you for the link!

Kim.

Linney -
Unfortunately "Jmatts" links for JV16 now appear to be dead. Still it's nice to know that it might be out there somewhere - I'll look around.

Kim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back