Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registration prob-Visual interdev 1.0 still cant read an .ASP file!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLotis

Programmer
Dec 14, 1998
US
In the process of creating a standard desktop, my data folders on C: were copied to our LAN. as well as Program files\dev studio\my projects.

All the data from my C drive was moved to the LAN. Disk was cleared and Win98 was loaded. Later, I restored the data from the LAN to the folders. I restored my DATA to Program files\dev studio\my projects\Mydata and also to the webshare\ area.

Then I loaded the web software...
I installed from the Visual Interdev 1.0 CD the PWS, ASP and FP extensions. Then VI 1.0.
But there was a problem registering ASP. Three dlls were not registered. They were not named.

When previewing in VI 1.0, the browser still cannot handle .asp files.
I removed and reloaded asp and FP extensions and MS PWS rebooting when needed.

Visual interdev 1.0 still cannot read an .ASP file.
ASP was not completely registered.

Where do I go from here? Is it the personal Web server or ASP?

Where else can I load PWS and ASP???

harry.lotis@mms.gov
[sig][/sig]

Does Win98 have MS PWS and ASP on its CD??? [sig][/sig]

I think some clarifcation needs to be made, ASP isnt a Software, or package, it is simply a scripting language, that runs off PWS or IIS, PWS is free (since it's unsecure and very limited) which can be downloaded from microsoft.com if you look for NT4 Option pack for Win9x. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Thanks Karl,
I found the download for Windows and it has a newer version called MS PWS.

However, I cannot find ASP.

Is the MS PWS and ASP somewehere on the install CD for Win98???

Thanks

HarryO as I mentioned before, ASP isnt something you download ASP = Active Server Pages, it's a scripting lagnauge that is interpreted by PWS , if you have either PWS or IIS , you will be able to run ASP off them. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Karl,
In the earlier versions, IIS/ASP was not available on a Win PC. Developers using Visuala Interdev 1.0 had to use a PWS plus add ASP plus add Front Page Extensions. Only then could VI read and develop code in ASP. This was the old way of setting up your Windows PC to work as a NT server.

This is how I remember it. But now there are DLL conflicts when loading the old PWS and ASP and FP extensions from the VI 1.0 cd.
Even when I installed teh newer PWS that has IIS/ASP/FP ext capabilities, Visual Interdev 1.0 still cannot treat a folder as a virtual web page.

HarryO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back