Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registration of non-Avaya endpoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml2665

Vendor
Mar 8, 2005
GB
my current position includes installing and maintaining Tandberg Video Conference Systems along with doing the same with Avaya systems. Using my lab to pre-program units I am sending to our other offices, I found the default Tandberg video units would register with my Avaya IPOffice 403 (3.2.54)

Once I realized it was doing this I had to play around and see if they worked. Yes they do. I can make an audio call from a Tandberg unit to any telephone connected to the IP Office. In doing so I could also call through the IP Office to our Cisco CM system. (I have IP trunks between the two)

I wonder if anyone else has seen non-Avaya IP devices that would register and if they actually worked??

Can you keep a audio connection open for more than two minutes?

tested calls over 5min fine, too boring to test them any longer, and this was on internal, external and IP trunk calls

kwing112000, I don't think so, but if you can tell me what the license name that would be, I will verify

I think its something like 3rd party IP Endpoint? I am not sure. I have not used any non-Avaya phones. I thought you needed a license to use non-Avaya phones.

while I don't have 3rd party licenses or anything that resembles that, I guess this is not the big deal I thought it was. I completly forgot about that feature set and before you mentioned it kwing112000 I really thought this was something unusual. I guess it's not

There are two ways to connect a 3rd party IP device with the IP Office: as extention or as trunk.

To connect an IP Endpoint as extention to your IP Office you need an IP Endpoint-license or a Phone Manager Pro and Phone Manager Pro IP Audio Enabled license. In this situation the IP Endpoint will register to the H.323 gatekeeper in the IP Office and will become an exention, just as a native Avaya extention.

I tried this about two years ago but had some difficulties getting the IP Endpoint working properly. When I tried to transfer a call using the 3rd party IP extention the call got disconnected.

The otherway to connect a 3rd party IP device is using a IP trunk. The IP device does not become an extention of the PBX so features like DND, transfer, forwarding are not available. Other users are not be able to see if the IP device is available or engaged. The benefit of this type of connection is that you don't need a license.

Thomas.

definatly not using this as IP trunks and I don't have 3rd party endpoints, but I do have PM Pro and PM Pro IP Audio Enabled licenses on this lab system, so maybe that's allowing me to use the Tandberg MXP150's as IP phones. Not tried transfers so that's something I will try on the lab next time I'm there.

IP End point licences are required for 3rd party H323 phones.

If you dont have (sufficient) licences the registration of the phine will be rejected, and not be able to make calls.

Experience has shown that the IPO can be very fussy about 3rd party end points (with or without licence). A valid IP End point licence is no guarrantee that the device will work (reliably) with IPO, even if its standards based B-(

well geek0, I don't have 3rd party endpoints and my IPO was not fussy at all registering every one of my Tandberg H323 units (15 in all so far) The only reason I found this was because they each showed in the manager application as valid users. As I stated in previous parts of this thread, I can make calls without issue, though some of the true telephony features are not available, like transfer and conference. I have stumped my 2nd level support and they said (unknown if they will actually do this) they would contact Avaya t3 and report it to them. Now the only thing they thought was maybe the PMPro IP Audio Enabled licenses I do have may be allowing these units to work, but should not based on their knowledge of the licensing

A packet capture of the registration and session might reveal something.

I have had to do this, and can report that the issue was not with the 3rd party device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back