Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding WSUS admin console

Status
Not open for further replies.

siqbal75

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2005
US
Hello,

I am sure this questions has been asked a zillion times, but I am not sure able to dind any assistance. I am not able to see any computers/clients thru admin console for WSUS server. When I run the client tool, I am given the following error message:

UseWuServer is disabled . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FAIL

I stickly have followed the Microsoft's installation guide for installing WSUS step-by-step. I am not sure where I am failing. Does anyone know whats going on here?

Thanks ...

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your reply Mark. I don't have any ghost servers in the company so that doesn't apply. I am using GPO to enforce policy. I know I made all the required changes after following Microsoft's installation guide doc, but for some reason it is not "enforcing" the policy accross all the workstations and therefore, I don't see any computers in admin console. Under GP console, I went to Local Computer policy--Administrative templates--Windows update. One thing that I am wondering about is that should I be making those changes for GPO for the dedicated server for Winupdate, or those changes should be made under PDC?

Is there anything I need to check in GPO? Right now, I have only checked/enable 2 options:

1) configure Automatic Updates
2) Specify intranet Microsoft update service location

Now for #2, I have only put the URL, not the port #. I hope it won't matter, but let me know if it does. Those are the only 2 items I have enable, the rest is disbale as per MS doc I am following. I can provide a copy of my log file if you need.

Thanks..

Mark,

I did run the command you specify in your response. I got the typical response back, not any error message. I am not sure what exactly I am looking for the output of this command, but let me know if there is anything I need to look at.

Also, there is one other thing, I notice is that right where I log on to the console, somewhere down the home page, it says something like, "One or more Update Service components could not be contacted. Check your server status and ensure that the Windows Server Update Service is running. Non-running services: SelfUpdate" Under todolist. Is it related to this situation?

Thanks..

Here you go:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NETECHINC>gpresult
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System Group Policy Result tool
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999

Created on Thursday, August 24, 2006 at 1:04:14 PM

Operating System Information:

Operating System Type: Server
Operating System Version: 5.0.2195.Service Pack 4
Terminal Server Mode: Remote Administration

###############################################################

User Group Policy results for:

CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=netechinc,DC=com

Domain Name: NETECHINC
Domain Type: Windows 2000
Site Name: NE-ATLANTA

Roaming profile: (None)
Local profile: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NETECHINC

The user is a member of the following security groups:

NETECHINC\Domain Users
\Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
BUILTIN\Administrators
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
\LOCAL
NETECHINC\Group Policy Creator Owners
NETECHINC\TopTools
NETECHINC\Domain Admins
NETECHINC\Domain Insidesales
NETECHINC\Domain Management
NETECHINC\Domain Controllers
NETECHINC\Domain Accounting
NETECHINC\Enterprise Admins
NETECHINC\Schema Admins

Last time Group Policy was applied: Thursday, August 24, 2006 at 12:00:11
Group Policy was applied from: accounts1.netechinc.com

===============================================================

The user received "Registry" settings from these GPOs:

Default Domain Policy

The user received "Scripts" settings from these GPOs:

Default Domain Policy

The user received "Internet Explorer Branding" settings from these GPOs:

Default Domain Policy

Computer Group Policy results for:

CN=WINUPDATE,CN=Computers,DC=netechinc,DC=com

Domain Name: NETECHINC
Domain Type: Windows 2000
Site Name: NE-ATLANTA

The computer is a member of the following security groups:

BUILTIN\Administrators
\Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
NETECHINC\WINUPDATE$
NETECHINC\Domain Computers

Last time Group Policy was applied: Thursday, August 24, 2006 at 11:58:07
Group Policy was applied from: accounts1.netechinc.com

The computer received "Registry" settings from these GPOs:

Local Group Policy
Default Domain Policy

The computer received "Security" settings from these GPOs:

Local Group Policy
Default Domain Policy

The computer received "EFS recovery" settings from these GPOs:

Local Group Policy
Default Domain Policy

Also, when I looked at the log files, I notice this error was there, "Warning wsusservice.129 SusEventDispatcher.CheckSelfUpdateTree Retried 3 times but still received error when checking for SelfUpdate Tree. Error: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."

I picked the default policy name whichever was given. I mean when I picked up admin templates, I just picked the wuau.adm.

Thank for looking into this Mark.

But what policy did you implement it in? Did you do this in the Default Domain Policy? Only password related policies should be in the default domain policy.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I am sorry, but I am a little bit confuse here. What policy do I suppose to pick? Microsoft doesn't mention anything about it so I thought I will pick whatever is in the instructions.

Could you please eloborate more on this. How am I suppose to make a policy that would picked up by all the clients desktops and workstatoins.

Thanks..

Thanks Mark for your help. The error has finally gone. Creating a new GPO did the trick. Couple of things happened though right after I made this change:

1) only 1 computer appeared in WSUS console ( I am assuming others will appears soon. I also ran the /force switch, but nothing happened)

2) when I am clicking the option for synch now, it first says under the "connection status", Running 0% but immediatly after that goes into idle mode. I ran synch successfully for the first time, but it denied 13 updates so I thought I would re run it, but I guess nothing is happening.

Anyways, I hope I have everything corrected now, and it will work unless you have more suggestions.

Thanks again Mark..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back