Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding Terminal Server / Office XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

devastator

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2001
US
I have just reloaded TS on a new server and seems the issue we are having now is that Office XP locks up during sessions. I have TS configured for Administrative Mode and have two users that connect on a regular basis. Anyone know that if I put the TS in application mode that it will stop these lock ups, or is it just Office XP Pro. Last question, if I put it in Application mode, you have to run a TS license server that will expire in 90 days. Do I need to do anything after the 90 days since the two pc's that connect are XP stations and have TS licenses built into the OS?

Thanks,

Dev

Hi,

Can't answer thr first question, but as far as I am aware if you change to application mode you will have to purchase licences after the 90 day period. You can only use the 2 'freebies' in administrative mode

Steve Chambers

Remote administration mode, is as the name sugegsts just for administration. The big difference is that in remote admin. mode there is just one user accessing the system. Even if phisically are two computers connected, for the server is the same admin user. And the difference is seen in the user profile, resgistry settings.
I supose that Office XP is having some registry keys that cannot be shared or some other temporary files.

Conclusion:
- if you want to use the TS for administering the server, use remote administration mode.
- if you want to use the TS for providing applications, use application mode.
About license, you need:
- activate the server license (can be done online)
- buy licenses for accessing the TS service (/client)
- if your computers are lower than Windows2000 then you need a desktop license too (/client computer)
- using Office XP via TS also require licenses

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

I have 20 TS CALS that I will have to go back through the Microsoft Licensing desk to reissue me a new serial since they were loaded before on the old crashed server. But besides that point you are saying that I need to also purchase additional Office XP licenses to run it on the TS? Each workstation has Office XP on them and we have corporate licenses for them and the servers. Why would I need addtional licenses to run say word or excel from the TS?

Thanks

Dev

well, if you already have those licenses, then I don't think you need more (Office XP). Microsoft will answer you better to this question. It depends on you license type with Microsoft. Maybe (sure) you have a volume licensing there, and in that case has to be discussed with the Microsoft guys.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

As far as I am aware you can switch it to App mode and license the server. Then add the cals that you have from XP.

When you license the server it just asks you for the details of the server and gives you a pin to complete the process, it can be done online if the server can see the net.

Then you can add Cals according to what you have bought or got free with XP, the point is to make sure that the server has a listing of your cals otherwise it only allows those users 90 days access (which it seems to renew anyway).

We work on an enterprise agreement and get YS cals free so I just add 500 for the domain and be done with. If we run out I will add another 500.

AJ

Does XP Pro have licenses built in and if they do how do you add them to the license server?

Gia is correct, to use TS in an application server mode you need a TS license for each user, AND you need user application licenses for the applications being shared (office, etc.)

My question is, I do not see why your users, who already have Office on their systems, would want to use the Office application on the TS? Do you have other applications on this server that they need to access? Or are they just using the server as a file server? With the TS in TS Admin mode you can do the remote admin access (one user), but for all the other users the server is just like any other file server (AND will still need the server licenses to support users!).

The lock up of the server of the server raises a question that may be related to Office XP license issues. Did the re-installation of the Office XP on this server have any problems with being re-installed? If the XP license was not installed correctly, or the license verification was not completed (probably have to get new license from MS if it was installed previously on a different server), then it will not recognize the new server as a legal copy and it will lock up by design. A brand new installation which is not validated through MS will freeze after being opened (50 times I think is the number of starts allowed if the licensing is not completed). This could be the issue here. I suggest removal of the Office XP from the the system and then reboot and re-install the Office software, then register it on line with MS.

HTH

David

The office xp loaded with no issues or problems. It is a volume licensed cd of Pro. One application that they run is RAP which ties into word when they export lists and some other things. That is the only time they would really use Office on the TS, besides Outlook for quick Exchange access / emails.

I was under the impression that XP and Windows 2000 Pro came with TS licenses. I know that when I had the old TS up and running with the 20 CALS the only workstation that were being issued licenses were the Win98 stations that were connecting, no the XP or 2000 pro stations.

Well I got the 25 CALS for TS relicensed from Microsoft and added them to the TS and switched to Application Mode. Only one person is having lock up problems now. I decided to delete and recreate her profile to see if this will fix the problem. Nobody else has lock up problems in any of the Office Apps.

Microsoft + Licensing = Confused End User = $ for Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back