Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

regarding long file names in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushtosri

Programmer
Feb 25, 2001
US
Hello there,

I've saved some web pages in some folders in windows. These pages have long file names. They work fine with windows but if i copy them to linux and try to see the web pages, the image names and file names will be truncated to 8 characters. Can anyone tell me how i can enable long file names in Linux? I use Red Hat 7.1.

Awaiting for ur replies.
Thankx in advance.

With regards,
Shri.

You don't say how you copied the files. If you mounted a DOS partition on your Linux system and used cp, the DOS partition will only use the 8.3 format names and that is all you would copy.
Also ftp can in some circumstances make the conversion from long file names to 8.3 for you.

Hello Zantor,

Thankx for taking time to read my message. Yes, i copied those files by mounting DOS partition. I use windows 2000 professional. I copied those files by cut, copy and paste method under KDE. But under windows i can see the full length file names. And when i copy them to linux partition then the file names are truncated to 8.3 format.

Is these any other method of copying files??

Shri.

Hi,

Did you mount the partition as vfat rather than msdos ? For example :

mount /dev/hda1 -t vfat /mnt/dos

You should see the long file names when using the vfat module.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back