Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reg Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

duane123

Technical User
Jan 1, 2004
I have used jv16_regcleaner on most of the pcs I have had in order to get rid of nasty hangers-on after uninstalls. I have just powered up a new machine running Win XP SP2 up-to-date, and I cannot get this SW to open. It gives an hour glass for about 15 seconds and nothing else happens. Looing in the Task Manager it does not show up as a Application (on other machines it shows as an app), but there is a process running. If I go to log off or restart, it gives and error message that this application is running, so have to request "end". I have downloaded and reinstalled the application 3x. Does anyone know why I would have this execute problem on this machine, but not on any of the other 4 machines? OS are all identical. This new pc has a core2 duo, that is the only difference I can think of, but I cannot understand how that would affect it???

One word (actually three)... DEP (Data Execution Prevention)...

A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I will try the other forum also. I cannot see why 4 pcs running the same version of WinXP would allow the RegCleaner to run, but the newest PC won't execute it? Regardless of the differences in hardware, if all WinXP are identical shouldn't I see the same problem on all five? There must be more to it than I am thinking I understand . . . .

Have you tried Safe Mode, or Normal Mode as a different user?

If you uninstall JV16 (again) and try installing it from Safe Mode.

Check out what Ben says about DEP, there are software versions and hardware versions, so different hardware can cause different outcomes, on different machines.

I was going to suggest that you try a Registry Cleaner, but that might be bad taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back