Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refreshing a frame in IE4

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmark

Programmer
Nov 27, 2000
GB
I am trying to write a simple javascript function to refresh one frame from another - no problem in IE5, but when I test it in IE4 it doesn't work - please someone tell me why it doesn't work and more importantly how to make it work....
The code:

function refreshSidemenu()
{
parent.frames["frameName"].location.href= "sidemenu.jhtml";
}

Thanks........

Check your script for IE 4.0 Compatibility. Make sure that all of the code is understood by the browser. Jonathan Hannan
Computer Repair, Webdesign
HTML, CGI, PERL, JavaScript, XML

The code seems to be accepted fine, no errors, its just that nothing happens when it is executed on the IE4 browser.

did youy try parent.frameName.location.href ?

Yes, tried that and other variations on the theme. None of them seem to make any difference thru IE4. I am sure I am missing something obvious, such a simple task - any more suggestions anyone?

The IE4 browser is running on NT4 in case that makes any difference.

it's really weird because i got that working on ie4 running on NT4.0 :-/
hope someone else might help !

Oh no, I'll try and run it on another machine, in case it is some peculiarity with the build on that machine.
Thanks anyway..........

my actual code is :
top.main.location.href=nom_page; (where "main" is the name of a frame)

at some other place i got :
top.frames[0].location.href=nom_page;

both work in ie4 and ie5. The os is nt4.0 as said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back