Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

refresh reload page for visitors 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimx

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
BE
Hi!

I searched in the archives but don't really find the answer...
When I publish new content on the Net (FTP to server), visitors don't see the changes until they refresh as the browser uses the cached pages. How can I avoid this ?

This is urgent... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Hi,

This is the way the web works. Once the page is served to the visitor, the server quits the connection. To show new content, the browser needs to hit the server again. (In this case by reloading)

This is urgent...

Isn't everyone's questions? [wink]

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

there is a way to uncache the page, ie everytime the user loads the page it will request the page from the server rather than using its cache.
the code uses the <meta> tag, try a search for it...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

kimx,

You can use the meta tag <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache"> in your <head> section, but if the user's web browser is already displaying the page before you upload changes, the user will still need to refresh to see the change.

Wishdiak

I don't see your problem really. depending on the servers content expiry (immediate by default) the next visitors will get the new content, Visitors on the site will see the new content on the next visit to the page. only visitors on the page at the same instant you upload will be looking at what maybe "old" content and if they return to the page a few moments later (not using the back button) the content should be replaced with the new. Only visitors likely to be affected will be the ones with "never check for new pages" set.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Thanks all of you for the help !

Chris, I'll check this 'content expiry' out. Good to know ! I thought there were problemes as I viewed updated pages with other computers here at home but we're having a network and share connections so guess server assumes this is only 1 computer...

Thanks !!!!!

Kimx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back