Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refresh Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlmm

Programmer
Mar 25, 2004
CA
I have an access db backend with a frontend in asp. The user is able to add, edit, view, and delete members from the db.

I have a page that lists all members (members.asp), only showing a few fields for each, i.e. ID, fname, lname, city/town, etc. If you click on one of these records, it brings up the detailed info for that member (memberinfo.asp). On the memberinfo.asp page you can click a button to open the form in edit mode (memberinfoedit.asp), which opens in the same window as memberinfo.asp. Right now if you click the edit button and edit the member, it works correctly and saves to the db.

What I would like it to also do is refresh the page with the list of members and close the window I am editing the member in. I get the window to close fine from the body onload by calling a javascript function of the memberinfoedit page, but when I try and submit the opener page it does not submit the list of all members page. I guess this is because the list of members page is not the opener of the memberinfoedit page. The opener page is the memberinfo.asp page.

Is there a way I can refresh the member.asp page from the memberinfoedit.asp page? Can I use something besides the window.opener.submit function from javascript to submit the members.asp page from the memberinfoedit.asp page?

Thanks!

window.opener is not page sensitive. u must be able to call it from any page (provided that they are all in the same popup).

why not use:
window.opener.reload()

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Can I do that for a previously opned page?

This is the process of how the pages are opening right now if the user wants to edit:

1. Members.asp (list of members)

2. Click on a member and it opens the detailed info page MemberInfo.asp.

3. On MemberInfo.asp, there is an Edit button. Whenthis is clicked, it opens MemberInfoEdit.asp and closes MemberInfo.asp.

I would like to refresh Members.asp. Since this is not eh page that opened MemberInfoEdit.asp, it was opened from MemberInfo.asp, can I refresh the previous page?

Thanks again.

o.h,
why do u want to open a new window when the "Edit" button is clicked, why not use the same window???

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back