Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refresh of mailbox not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnking

MIS
Oct 28, 2002
US
Many users are complaining their mailbox is not refreshing automatically. They have to press F5 to manually refresh for new messages. Seems to happen intermittently on Win 95, 98 and even XP. We are using GroupWise 5.5 EP SP2 with NetWare 5.1 SP1a.

Hi dawnking

We are having the same problem with mailbox refresh - the refresh interval is set at 1m 0s for all users, but some users cannot refresh without pressing F5 or changing view away from mailbox and back again. The problem is OS-independent, occurences have been recorded on winXP, win98, and Linux (Red Hat 7.1). We are running GW 5.5 with NW 5.1 SP1

Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? You help is much appreciated.

john

'There's no such thing as an expert, just people that have learned from more mistakes.'

I didn't know there was a linux client for GW5.5. Are you using the POP client? If you are using POP clients, the server can't force out email. There's usually a setting to choose how often your client checks for mail.

I just checked into this thread because my problem is that even when a shared folder's messages have all been read, when the view gets refreshed, it still indicates (with an icon) that the folder has unread messages in it.

hello dawnking -

I've seen the same issues w/98 and Win2k Pro machines. Same 1 minute refresh interval set. Seems to happen off and on with some machines. Also have noticed more so on Win2k box when writing a new email message (and see the mailbox behind with no new mail) Once you close or send the email . . . . Voilà! Generates the refresh.

I haven't tried this, but perhaps it's at the PO or GWIA setting. If I remember correctly, there's also a "refresh interval" in there somewhere. Maybe changing it to 2 minutes, then switching it back to 1 minute will kick something around to start working as it should. Since it occurs on all OS platforms, tends to lean towards the backend vs the client.

I'll dig around a little bit more within the settings. Maybe it's something we're overlooking, like threads, active send/receive connections, etc....

-- again, just reaching at possibilities.

dawnking -

I Doublechecked our settings this morning. Under the GWIA properties >> Gateway Settings, our send/receive cycle is set to 120 seconds. Perhaps this is what needs to reflect the 60 seconds. Not positive on that, but worth a shot.

Hi Michigan

Thanks for the tip, I reset the GWIA send / receive cycle to 60 and then back to 120 which has fixed the problem for all users.

Thanks again!

john

can you confirm that this problem has not recurred since april??
we have had this problem for the past 4 years - running groupwise 6 now. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back