Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refresh a drop down list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior1544

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
I have a data entry form with a drop down list. How can I have a button that will open a new window so I can add data to the drop down??? The drop down is based on a field in the database. I can do all the database work, I'm having a hard time getting the window to come up and to refresh the drop down when it closes...

Any idea's??

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Does it have to be a seperate window? It would be much easier if you just had it on your page:

- add a "New Item" button
- when the button is clicked, unhide a text box and
an "update" button on the screen
- when the user clicks the "update" button, insert the new
item into the database, hide the controls, and refresh
the drop down list.

It'll be cleaner for the users, and less messy than trying to get multiple windows to play nice.

:)
HTH

D'Arcy

Interesting thoughts... I never thought of that... I'll play with it to see what I can get to come up:) Thanks.

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net

First of all please accept my apologize. I have some questions that relate to this thread. Since I notice you are both knowledgable in what I want, please allow me to proceed.

I am new to ASP and SQL.

I have a WebApp that has a button to take me to a form page. On that page:

1. I want to be able to fill a drop down box with a list from a SQL db table. The table has two column and I want to option to use one or the other or both.

2. I want to select one from the list a fill out the rest of the form. Once the form is ready I want to insert the new data into SQL db table, different than no. one.

3. On the previous page, I have a datagrid with paging enabled. However, when I press next, it only refreshes the first ten and does not go to the next ten.

Please help.

Thanks.

I wish I could help you man, But I've just been developing with asp.net for about 3 months...

I only know what I need to to get my project up and running for the moment... Once I get my current project up and running, I will be experimenting with other stuff...

Sorry...

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back