Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reformatting SQL for Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonediggler1

Technical User
Jul 2, 2008
US
Hi-

I have a report with a/r data that includes account, invoice #, transaction type, transaction amount, and check #. Every account has multiple invoices, each invoice can have multiple transactions (of different or the same type), and each transaction which is a payment may have a unique check #. The data basically looks like this:

Code:
ACCT  INVOICE  TRANS_TYPE  AMOUNT   CHECK_#
123   4567     CLAIM       1.00     NULL
123   4567     CLAIM       3.00     NULL
123   4567     ADJST       2.00     NULL
123   4567     PAYMENT     1.00     908573
123   4567     PAYMENT     5.00     973246

The report users are now requesting that each invoice has no more than one line. Using the above example, the fields would now have to be arranged as:

Code:
ACCT  INVOICE  CLAIM_1  CLAIM_2  ADJST_1  PAYMENT_1  PAYMENT_2 CHECK_1  CHECK_2

I can think of a way to do this that is complicated and would take a really long time. I am wondering if anybody here has a way to do this that is pretty straightforward?

Thank you!!

And what do thay want when there are mor then 2 checks Ect?

This was just an example.

Once the conceptual logic is figured out, I would determine a maximum number of transactions per transaction type and number of checks per payment - and use that many fields in the final report, regardless of whether they get populated all the time or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back