Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reformatting drive and fresh install win 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclepink

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
hey guys,
i had some problems uninstalling NAV corporate edition from my computer which is running win2k pro. i messed around too much with the registry files to uninstall that without any use. since i don't have too much data on the computer i want to start afresh and reformat the drive and install win2000 pro again. how shud i go about it. unlike win98 there is no startup disk thing in 2k i think.
thanks
pink

Boot disk, 4 of them, can be cut from your Win2k CD. Browse the cd with windows explorer. In the "bootdisk" directory run makeboot. (Have 4 1.44 diskettes ready.)

Another way is to set your first boot device to the cd drive and boot from the cd. (I install on different machines so I have a set of boot diskettes for those machines with older BIOS that won't boot from cd.)

thanks kenith,
but i still have a confusion the rest of the process for formatting the drives and reinstalling will be just like win 98 or something..
thanks
pink

Hi;

After you have booted either by the cdrom or the boot disks and are in setup, you will accept the license agreement and then setup will ask where do you want to install. There will be a pick list showing your available hard drives. You will then be asked if you want to format the partition. The prefered is to format with the NTFS file system. Its really pretty straight forward once you are in there.

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

I cant clean my DD .I have win2000 server. I haven't the possibilite to go under msdos during the booting of the computer .

well if it was me I would use a win9x bootdisk and start in dos that way...

then format c:
then reboot (boot from win2k cd-rom)
if this fails you can boot from the win9x disk, boot with cd-rom support.
change drive to "win2k cd-rom"
then change directory to i386
and then finally run winnt.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back