Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reformatted drive but XP shows as dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoustictech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2005
US
I just reformmated a 80gb hd and installed xp pro. What's weird is that it gives me the dual-boot option when loading xp. When I choose the right one, it works fine, when I choose the wrong one, it gives an error. How can I delete the wrong one so I don't always have to choose the OS when loading up my computer?

Boot from Windows CD, click to install Windows. Delete all the partitions. Then run the installation, format as NTFS.
If you dont delete the original partition or you install on a different partition, you will get dual boot options.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Thanks. As I've already taken a while setting up this computer, is there any workaround of removing this without haven't to format everything again?

yes simply remove the offending line from the boot.ini file start - run - msconfig go to the boot file and remove the offending line

You don't say whether the drive you formatted was C: drive or some other drive. The boot files are usually found on C: drive even if XP is installed to another drive letter.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

You can also look at the alternative command by typing bootcfg /? at a CMD Prompt.

The boot.ini file is a read only, system and hidden file which requires Hidden and System files to be made visible via Folder Options/ View.

You can also edit the Boot.ini file via Control Panel/ System/ Advanced/ Startup and Recovery/ Settings/ Edit

Which ever method you use you must remove the entry that is pointing to the missing operating system entry.

"krenkey's" method is another way to remove the entry, so you are really spoiled for choices in this matter.

If you only have one drive and you formatted that correctly it is hard to explain how you ended up with a multiple choice boot screen?

Ah ok, the boot.ini. I will try this as soon as I get home, and am sure it will work. Thank you all for your assistance.

just make sure you remove the correct line. Typically the way i do it is as follows. Generally at the point where the system is asking you to select which operating system to boot into is the line in the boot.ini file that you will want to keep so if its the first line that you want to boot into simply remove the second line. Then you can go ahead and remove the old partition or windows folder just make sure you are removing the right one.

There are so many ways to edit the boot.ini file i just find it easiest to type msconfig at the start - run - cmd- and then edit it and save.

thats it youre done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back