Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reformat Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTBChik

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
I am running Windows 2000 Professional on an IBM ThinkPad and have 'attracted' one too many viruses (viri?) that have forced me to make the decsision to reformat my harddrive. It is currently partitioned into 2 drives - C and D. I have reformatted the D drive without a hitch. However C will not let me look beyond the WINNT directory in the recovery console, nor will it allow me to reformat this drive. I've made the size of the paging files 0 and still nada.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Regards,
MTB Chick

If you want to reformat the drive to reinstall 2k, you should do it while installing 2k - not from recovery console (recovery console is preventing you wiping out the operating system you are trying to recover. It also restricts access to the system folder (\winnt) by default).

So just boot the 2k install CD, and go for new install. when it gets to the 'where to install bit', use the partitioning tools to remove the existing partition (select it and hit D key - say yes you do want to delete when warned you will wipe out data, there's an operating system on it...). You can now create a new partition (or more than one - but I'd suggest just creating one for 2k install - if you intend having more partitions create them from with 2k in disk management).

hi, the problem u r facing when u run recovery concole from ur c drive will not show u a d drive i think ur c dirve is on NTFS partition and D drive on FAT partition. so NTFS partition can't show FAT partition remember it. so i advise u first check ur drive format type both.

Thanks
Smudassir

Assuming that you have not played with the factory configuration:

The factory installed software, including the OS, is either located on a protected portion of your hard disk, or was supplied on a "recovery" cd.

running the recovery partition or CD does everything for you.

if you TP is still under warranty, you could perhaps be able to obtain a recovery cd from IBM services by presenting the proof of purchase (still better, show them the TP itself.

DO A CLEAN (FRESH) INSTALL OF WIN2K; RECREATE ALL PARTITIONS AND FORMAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back