Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reflowing text in Word 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylebellamy

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
I have a document that a customer gave me to edit that is doen in Word. The problem is that every single line has a paragraph marker at the end of it and it's roughtly 40 pages in 12pt type, sinlge space.

Is there a way to get word to remove all the paragraph markers as the text is only half page in witdth.

search and replace can do that, but be careful about handling real paragraph breaks. Replace paragraph marks (^p) with single space.

if you have real paragraph breaks, you can stick in some character (manually e.g. %) and then change those back to ^p.

if the real paragraphs are separated by two paragraph markers, you can search for those separately and replace them with a set of characters that you would not find in the document (I typically use %%*%%). Replace paragraph marks with spaces. (you may find that you also have to find two consecutive spaces afterwards).

S

Alternatively:
a) Add a blank paragraph wherever there should be a real paragraph break
b) Replace ^p^p by ^l, manual line break.
c) Replace ^p by a single space
d) Replace ^l by ^p.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back