Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

referential integrity with relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoknows361

Technical User
Sep 22, 2005
US
hello all.. cant seem to figure this out.. and i know its porbably an easy one. I have 2 tables.. One with an ID (autoincrement) and also has a bunch of other fields in it (name, address, etc.)..

have table 2 which has only 2 fields.. one is ID (the autoincrement) and the second is diagnosis.

I went to relationships window.. related the ID fields of both tables and tried to do referential integrity, both with updates and deletes. but it either tells me that there is no field in common between tables.. or sometimes it tells me that table 1 is in use by another process (which it isnt). what am I missing in regards to referential integrity. Where is a good place to learn how to do this correctly? Thanks

Jonathan

The ID field in table 2 shouldn't be autoincrement but Numeric Long

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

You might want to search these Access forums and google for why using autonumbering can complicate things. Seems your case found one. Nothing wrong with making up your own primary key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back