Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing a Public Variable in a Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmboyEsq

Programmer
Apr 2, 2007
US
I must be stupid!!! Basically I want to use a function as in the criteria for a query. I've found a few examples on the net and believe I'm very close.

The Function is

Public Function GetPkgName() As String
GetPkgName = strPkgNamePublic
End Function

My query references GetPkgName() in the criteria and if I force a value for this inside the function it works fine. My problem is, how do I set the value, before I open the query.

I've attempted this in the VBA procedure behind the form:

(in the general declarations)
Public strPkgNamePublic As String

(In a private sub click event)
strPkgNamePublic = Me!fldANSPkgName
strFunc = GetPkgName()

The MSGBOX displays I put in the function show no value for strPkgName Public. Therefore, it has nothing to work with.

Arg! Help! Thanks!

Stg

If I understand right you may have a scoping issues. A public variables declared in a form exists only in during the life of a form. A public variable declared in a standard module exists through the application. So if you set the value and then close the form the variable goes out of scope. Also a function declared in a form's module is not accessible throughout the program. I would put both the function and the variable in a standard module not a forms module. Not certain if that is your issue because I am not certain what is open and the order of operation. However try putting these in a standard module and then try this in your click event to be sure that there is a value in fldANSPkgName and that the function works.

strPkgNamePublic = Me!fldANSPkgName
msgbox me!fldANSPkgName
Msgbox GetPkgName()

That seems to be the problem. I've got it working now.

Thanks!

Stg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back