Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

References Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

debot54

Programmer
May 19, 2001
US
I am having problems adding references to my code libraries. What happens after I have browsed and located my library file, is that I get an error message that says "Can't add reference to the specified file".

I have already checked the obvious (valid library, corrupted file, etc.) and everything checks out. The really weird part is that in some cases I have been able to add a reference to a library, but if I move it and then try to add a reference to the new location I get that message (and yes, I have already unchecked the current reference to the library). Anybody have any ideas?

Hi

Not sure whether this is your problem but I've had similar.

If you reference a dll and you have more then one copy of this dll on your system then the app uses the first it finds in the registry. I had serious problems because moving the dll was not being caught and updated, consequently the app was looking at a location that used to hold the dll and couldn't find it. Computers are stupid!!

I found that if I only had one copy of the file I wanted to reference and then did a reboot all the problems went away. It was occeasionally necessary to browse and point at the dll, rather like teaching a child, before the system would remember.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back