Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant ISP setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tman138

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
I have a small business with 2 locations connected via a dedicated T-1. At the main location I have a cable modem connection to an ISP which I share to both locations via the T-1. At my remote location I have an Internet satellite dish connection which is not currently networked. Since my cable ISP keeps going down all the time, I'd like to set up a redundant connection utilizing the dish ISP. I run a WIN2K3 server serving DNS to the network and have defined the default gateway to the main location. I've seen some load balancing solutions but all of them seem to require that hardware be in the same physical location and I don't have that luxury. I'm thinking that I should be configuring the sattelite router with RIP, but I'm unsure about how to do that. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Depending on what kind of routers you have, you can probably get away with some floating static routes with some track statements. Let us know what kind router(s) you have

I have a pair of AdTran NetVanta 1224R's on each end of the T-1 but they both just configured as bridges and because they also contain the QOS port mapping for my VOIP phones at my remote location I really don't want to change any of the configurations on them. I have a NetGear FVS318 firewall / router on the cable connection side, and I plan to use a NetGear BEFW11S4 router on the satellite side. This is actually both a router / wireless AP but the wireless no longer works. Both units have the ability to add static routes however both units have their own guis for editing of configuration files rather than allowing telneting and direct editing of the configuration files.

OK - I have established redundancy, but not failover. I can change the gateway and enable use of the satelite instead of the cable modem.
The failover solution I am leaning toward is installing a Cisco router with Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking and setting this new router as my gateway. Does this sound feasible? Which router would be the most economical yet have this technology available? I am looking at 1700 series.

Yeah a 1700 should work fine. Reliable Static Routing Backup is what I recommended, and as long as you have it setup right (pinging the next-hop of your default-gateway) it works really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back