Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redo logs question. Need urgent help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hi,
I did switch a database's archiving mode from NOARCHIVELOG to ARCHIVELOG. I then enabled automatic archiving of filled groups by setting

log_archive_start=true

in the database's parameter file. Finally I used

alter system archive log start;

to enable automatic archiving of filled online redo log group without shutting down the current instance. For some reason, when using the SQL*Plus statement

archive log list;

it shows the archiving information for the connected instance:

database log mode ARCHIVELOG

automatic archival ENABLED

..........etc

But when I shutdown immediate then startup the instance with database open, I then issue the

archive log list; this time the

automatic archival DISABLED.
Anyone came across this problem and had a fix. Please direct me how to fix it. I just wanted to archive online logs to multiple locations, then back up the archived logs. Please help.

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

th

You've probably changed another init.ora file.
You may manually specify another pfile during database startup or make changes in you initSID.ora file.

Hi,

Why are you doing a "shutdown immediate"? Your session information will get lost then. Try "shutdown normal". If it still is the same please try a look in the "alert.log" of the database when the database's startup took place . Perhaps there is an error in the archive-log path and/or permissions to it that prevent the database from starting the archiver. => did you uncomment the path for the archivelogs too? I think so but you didn't mention it in your thread.

Hi Sem and Spenglerr,

Thanks for your replies. I am still unable to archive my redo logs in order to back them up. When startup the database I then enter

archive log list;

It shows archiving information for the coonected instance:

Database log mode ARCHIVELOG

automatic archival DISABLED

Archive destination /Disk01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/arch (Please note: there is no arch directory or files in this path)

oldes online log sequence 1629

next log sequence to archive 1631

current log sequence number 1631

Please note: I did uncomment the log_archive_start=true in the init.ora file. How do I set archiving destination with log_archive_dest and log archive format. Below is the information from my init.ora. I have not uncommented these two paths yet.

log_archive_dest =disk$rdbms:[oracle.archive] (Please note: if I set archiving destination log_archive_dest='/Disk05/arc', how do I alter the parameter for the below log_archive_format? )

log_archive_format = "T%TS%S.ARC" in the init.ora file. I did read the Oracle8i adminitrator's guide and backup and recover documentation from Oracle.com but I am still unable to make it work. Please anyone direct me how to fix it. I do need your help badly.

Thanks in advance.

Trang

If I'm reading your latest post correctly, you're worried about changing log_archive_dest because you think it will affect log_archive_format. Please rest assured that such is not the case. Log_archive_dest specifies the directory path of the archive log folder. Log_archive_format specifies the names of individual archive log files within the archive log directory. You can change one without affecting the other.

I would change log_archive_dest to some valid directory. It's a reasonable guess that the invalid path error is preventing automatic archiving from starting.

You don't indicate which version of Oracle you're running. If it's 9i you should be aware that 9i has changed the default way that Oracle instances are started. If you don't specify a "pfile=" parameter, Oracle will look to see if an spfile.ora file exists and use the initialization parameters specified in it.

To apply changes in initialization parameters to the spfile.ora, use an "alter system" command:

alter system set {init parm name} = {init parm value} scope=spfile;

Thanks for all the replies. I do appreciate it very much.
Currently I 've been using Oracle8i. For some reason, I did uncomment the following paths in init.ora file:

log_archive_start=true
dest =disk$rdbms:[oracle.archive (I set this parameter log_archive_dest='/Disk05/arc')
log_archive_format = "T%TS%S.ARC"
However, I am still unable to get enabled automatic archiving started. PLEASE HELP. If possible, please anyone can post your email address So I can obtain very quick answer from you. I do appreciate your time and your help as well.

Regards,

Trang

Hi All,
Finally, I am able to have the automatic archiving turned on. By mistake, I modified the wrong init.ora file. Thus, it turned off the automatic archiving whenever I startup the database. Again, thanks for all your help.

Best regards.
Th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back