Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redistribute OSPF ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

preeda

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
TH
Hi, I am very new to cisco router. My company use OSPF protocol as the main link, and RIP2 for back up link. I really don't understand, when someone said redistribue Rip into OSPF, or in reverse. Can any one help me out. Thanks in advance.

Hi preeda,

OSPF uses metric of reference bandwidth/bandwidth while RIP v2 uses hop counts.If ur primery link goes down then u would use the backup link for which u have configured RIP v2.Since other end router still uses OSPF u have to use
redistribution command which will make rip to communicate with OSPF which otherwise would create miss match in the metrics of both & therefore would not communicate with each other.

cheers,

netlife

By 'redistribute' they mean take the RIP routes you are receiving and "inject" them into OSPF, so that OSPF learns those routes from RIP.

In your OSPF clause will look something like this:

router ospf 1
log adjacency-changes
redistribute RIP metric 1000 subnets

check out cisco's website for mind numbing amounts of config info and things to watch out for.. IMHO you may want to use policy routing to control where and what you accept RIP from.

Great Thanks for all reply.. Especially the link is very helpful to me.

Take care,
Preeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back