Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirect incoming calls to an external number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenyank

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2011
GB
First, please forgive me in advance. I am not a telephony engineer, nor do I know much about PBX's so if my terminology or descriptions leave anything to be desired, I am sorry!

I've searched through your forums and have tried to muddle my way through online resources but I am still stuck so I hope that I might be able to find someone here to rescue me!

*The History*

We are a small independant company and have been running the same PBX system since before my tenure. 6 months ago, our IT guy left after a 'disagreement' with management and took all documentation and 'cheat sheets' with him in a fit of rage.

I was not here when the system was setup, and due to the system's age - we can't seem to get an engineer to touch it, instead all they want to do is sell us a new system.

We are running a Norstar Modular 8x24DS KSU Phone System based on description of the system, and the photo on this site
*The problem*

We have recently been bought out by a bigger company who already have a PBX system in place and it is incapibatible with ours. They've already expressed that they will not pay to have our phone number changed or re-routed, their only choices given to us is to leave our current system running and put a voicemail service on saying that our number has changed or disconnect entirely.

Being an 'end user' of other services, the first option isn't ideal as I know when I phone a company and they have changed contact details but don't re-route, instead tell you the new number I automatically get irritated. The second option is not viable in the least as our number has been the same for over 10 years and that is a lot of contacts who'd lose the ability to call us.

What I would like to do is to setup a 'forward' so that when someone rings our number, instead of it going to the voicemail solution they're suggesting, I would like it to forward to their own system and they can re-route to our new extensions over the new system.

From what I have been told before the IT guy left is we have one 'main' number servicing a 4-channel ISDN coming in to the building. An incoming call will first ring the receptionist phone, if a second call comes in whilst the receptionist is on a call, the second call falls over to another extension. If both extensions are on an active call - anyone else calling in will just ring out until one of the other two extensions terminate their active call.

*What I would like to do*

I would like to have the ability to 'forward' the two extensions so that any incoming call that normally would have come through our 'old' system, will now bounce to the new company's switchboard to be handled appropriately thereafter.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to change this from the Norstar system itself so that all 4 channels immediately forward to the new external number - but without being an engineer and my 'techy' abilities can see through a computer rebuild or making a website, I fear my telephony expertise would be found wanting to make this happen. So, my 'work around' would be to activate call forwarding on the two extensions that currently handle incoming calls to the 'old number' to automatically forward to 'new number'.

*the Plea*
Can this be done? Can someone put me out of my misery and handhold me through setting this up if possible? I'd offer my first born for the help, but as much as I like my job - I don't think my wife would appreciate giving up our child for the sake of work's phone issues! :)

Thank you in advance if anyone can help, and please accept my apologies again if I sullied your brilliant forums with my rather inept description and attempt at solving a problem!

Andy

The system you have does not offer redirect.

Can you call forward the line using your provider feature code?

Call your provider and explain your situation they might have options.

also check with the provider at the new location to see if you can port those numbers over to them. It was not possible a few years aago but now you are pretty much able to move phone numbers between carriers.

I will look into the porting option, however they have already been quite clear that they do not want to port the number across which is why I am trying to find a work around.

Just out of curiosity, if the system doesn't offer redirect - why does the manual say I can redirect using FEATURE 8 4 (giving me the display in pic attached)? Admittedly, I'm not sure what to do past FEATURE 8 4 as the manual doesn't explain how to send the call to an external number... Hopefully someone can help?

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5378/photo2qs.jpg
What type of phone do you have in the pic? Model #. The phone looks like a T model series which I have never seen. T model not supported on the 8 x 24.

Do you have the right book for that system and software version?

Redirect was available on the Cics I believe 4.1 and higher.

Also the 8x24 does not support any type of digital circuit.

To be 100% honest, I'm not sure what I have.. :(

The Norstar system I quoted to have was *only* based on the fact it looked most like what I have in my comms cabinet and the following walk-thru which I found based on the quoted model number worked to log into the system admin:

To Log Into System Programming:
1. Press FEATURE * * 2 6 6 3 4 4
2. Enter Password: 2 6 6 3 4 4 Display will read: " A. Configuration"
Using the navigation keys, as displayed below, follow the next simple steps:
3. Press: NEXT Display will read: "B. General Admin"
4. Press: SHOW Display will read: "1. Sys speed dial"
5. Press: NEXT Display will read: "2. Names"
6. Press: NEXT Display will read: "3. Time and date"
7. Press: SHOW Display will read: "Time # # : # #" (Your current setting.

... The serial number is the attached photo if that helps?

The phone I'm using is a T7310N / Norstar / Manufacture 1999

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4508/photo3jf.jpg
The majority of the Nortel systems have the same configuration and admin. menue. No help.

Looks like it could be a Mics 0x32 cabinets look a like and it will take the T series phones.

Go in maintenance menue and give us the software code we can then tell you if it is compatible for redirect.

Copied:

Externally Call Forward a Phone: Note: You must have at least 4.1 software to execute this feature. Build a Route: Services - Show Ringing Service - Next to Routing Service - Show Routes - Show Show Route: 001 - Show Dialout: No Number - Leave alone - Next Use: ( ) - Change to Pool you want it to use. (Pool A) DN Type: Public Build a Destination Code: Routing Service - Show Routes - Next Dest Codes - Show Show destcode: - Add DstCode: (enter code) - OK Normal: 000 - Change to route built - Show AbsorbLength: ALL Don't have to worry about Night schedule etc. Make sure the phone has Allow Redirect set to Yes and that you've allowed it access to the line pool you're using. Then simply walk up to the phone and press Call Forward Button or Feature 4 Dial the destination code + phone number. All calls that ring on the phone will be forwarded! All calls, including IC calls. So if you want one particular line to be forwarded but not others, simply program ONLY that line to appear & ring on the set. Note: If you have a PRI then you are already using a route and destination code to get out to begin with so you can just use the same code to do the external call forwarding. If you want the CF to be on a No Answer condition, program the cell number including the destination code in the CFNA heading of Capabilities for the station you want to forward. That way you will get the forward after a specified # of rings...

Under Maintenance > System Version

it says

SP: 30HjD04 DR6

Not familiar with the UK software and requirements for the functionality of the feature options.

I suggest you try following the programming instructions to see if you can get to work.

Seems to be Meridian Norstar Modular Plus 0+32 system... ?

Can't find any specific manuals... Why did I learn computer tech rather than telephony? :(

Why did I learn computer tech rather than telephony? :(
I feel the other way :(

Right...

Following this:

Found here:

I see 'hotline' can be configured to dial externally... Is this something I should be looking for?

I've gone into CAPABILITIES > EXTENSION > HOTLINE > changed from NONE to Exrnl# and programmed an external number...

The receptionist phone is ext. 221, so I did the following to that extension... Then, ringing our phone number, I'm getting continuous ringing, but her phone doesn't ring nor does the external number I entered ring.

Am I on the right path and just missed a step or am I barking up the wrong tree?

They hotline is a feature to dial an extension or number when someone lifts the handset. Like a taxi or hotel phone at the airport connects you directly.

The heading in programming indicate as if its 8X24 or R1T1 0X32.

Your out of luck

Just do you your head office wants, its so much easier.....plus this way people will know what number to dial from now on.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

The best way is if the carrier can just move that number, it should be just a minimal fee. But if you have to you can go with the F84 like you started to. Just know that everytime that number is called it will take up 2 lines on your system.

F84
Select Line out (chose a free line from that phone to call out on)
Enter Digits (put in the number where you want the call to go)
Select Line (select the line of the number that you want to redirect)

Thanks Hawks,

I don't mind if 2 channels are burnt to do the forward - I just want to find a solution even if it isn't the best one (I agree with you and others that moving the ports makes the most sense, it is just a shame I don't have the 'final' decision making powers to facilitate that)

Just one question thought Hawks, it is now 22:40GMT so I'm not at work at the minute but from memory when I tried doing F84 before I opened this topic, I didn't seem to have the ability to do anything once it prompted me for select line.

Please bear in mind that I'm learning this as I go and am a complete novice in hardware based PBX's - when you say "Select Line Out" what do you mean?

Thank you for the glimmer of hope - I'm tempted to go back to work to try now just because this has consumed me for 2 days before I had to admit that I didn't have what it took to figure it out myself and ask for help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back