Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat9 Kernel compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSiva

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hi All,

I am using RedHat9 with 2.4.20-8 kernel. Recently I downloaded the cifs-08.7a.tar and wanted to install cifs module

in the Linux.

As per the manual I came along with the cifs tar file, I applied the patch by patch -p1 < cifs_patch

Then copied the extracted files to /use/linux2.4.20/fs/cifs.

Then cd /use/src/linux-2.4.20

make xconfig
make dep
make modules
make bzImage

All went fine. From this point I do not know as to how to enable the cifs in my kernel.

I did the following:

cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

cp /usr/src/linux2.4.20/System.map to /boot

edit /etc/lilo.conf

add the lines like:

image=/boot/bzImage
label=mylinux
root=/dev/hda1
read-only

The above setup gave me kernel panic, root volume not found.

My existing good kernel shows something like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.2.4.20-8
read-only
append=&quot;root=LABEL=/&quot;

I tried some docs on google and when I try

mkinitrd /boot/initrd.2.4.20-8 2.4.20-8 gave it already exists. If I try something else it says /lib/modules not

found. I guess this command is purely for new kernel compilation and not for one single module to install.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Siva

-------------------------------------
JSiva
Network Appliance Inc. (jsknair@yahoo.com

In your case you should make a different name from mkinitrd's output file not as same as currently using, e.g. 2.4.20-8new (please check with the kernel source Makefile first few lines).

/lib/modules not found is because you didn't run &quot;make modules_install&quot; to create the new module directory in /lib/modules. After this installation, there will be a new directory named 2.4.20-8xxx (check with the kernel source Makefile first few lines). When this done you can then run mkinitrd, mkinitrd /boot/initrd.2.4.20-8xxx 2.4.20-8xxx. Then put it in lilo.conf.

Basically after you run make dep, you should follow by make && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && make install and the last step will help you to copy the new files into /boot and make changes to the boot loader conf files automatically.

Hi

i am not clear on your explanation.

i got the cifs module files as as tar files and I put them into /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/fs/cifs.

there was a patch under that cifs dir which i applied.

then i did make xconfig and selected cifs, save, exit, make dep, make bzimage, make modules, make modules_install make install.

It created one System.map and bzImage file under /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8.

Now tell me what should I do to make my system work with cifs. Pls gimme step by step if you dont mind.

Thanks
Siva

-------------------------------------
JSiva
Network Appliance Inc. (jsknair@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back