Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat8 Security level

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmind

MIS
Oct 31, 2002
US
I am using the "Security Level Configuration" (GUI) program in Redhat 8. It's set to "High" and when I change it to "Medium" and save the changes it doesn't really change. If I open the program up again it's still on "High". Any help on changing this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Netmind

I'm not quite sure what changes it may be making..but you may want to look at what firewall is installed(ipchains or IPTables) and after you change a setting do either iptables -L or ipchains -L to show the different rulesets.

Hi,
Just to let you know, I've experienced the same thing, also using RH8.0. What I did was just to leave those "settings" for themself, and installed another firewall. I found "firestarter" ( to be a very "easy to configure and use" firewall, allowing you to setup the firewall using just a few mouseclicks, and it has a monitorwindow that lets you see the hits on your firewall as they occur (and they do!!)

Just a tip.

--xx--

Thanks for the info. I tried Firestarter and it works great. I also tried lokkit (gnome-lokkit) and that worked too.
Thanks again.
netmind

the setup tool doesn't display the current setting when you start it. That is, if you set it to "medium" (whatever that means), the next time you bring up the setup tool for the firewall it will not display "medium".

Thanks,
I see what you mean about displaying the current setting... HIGH is first on the list; however, after I specifically set it to HIGH, access to my FTP and HTTP were "shut off" as it should be. After picking MEDIUM again nothing would happen, access was still gone. For now lokkit has fixed what I need.
Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back