Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakeyes

Programmer
Oct 26, 2000
AE
Hi,
I know this is forum is designed for Linux servers, but i did not find a way to post my linux client question, so pardon me.
I have a redhat 6. linux client, and i want to link it to win2k server, i.e. to act as a client. I do not know how to start? I am totaly new to linux, and this is a limited time project. My questions are:
how to confgiure tha adapter card?
How to link it to w2k domain?? at least so that it shares some resrouces like files and so on???

yours help is highly appreciated.

Go to and check out some of the FAQ's there to get you started. These are good for general questions like yours. If you have more specific problems, post AS MUCH INFORMATION as you can here and we'll try to help.

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

this is a bit to general,
what do you know ?
if you know how to configure basic linux netowrking ( ip and gateway ) then you can get them connected.
as for sharing resources you can use fto on both ends ( the linux and the w2k)
if you want more "windowz" like sharing ( sharing through network neighbooorhood ).
you'll need to install samba on the linux.
for details on samba go to if you need to share documentation you can configure a web server (same goes for printing and on.
barazani
bara_zani@yahoo.com
"Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."

Thanks for the co-operation,
Can you give me idea how to set up and install the Adapter cards, and how to give it an IP address and so on. I really do not know how to do so. Do i need to install a gateway as well, because i am onlyusing linux as a client and not a server. I just want it be able to conenct Windows 2k Server and see its files and download them. I do not know how to setup SAMBA, but i will read the web site you gave me, and if it did not help me, i'll refer to you. It will be really great if you can help me :)
By the way,i downloaded a PDF file of FAQ from Linuxdoc as recommended but i could not find exactly what i want. Thanks again The Smart Ant

As long as it is sensed on bootup, you should be able to configure the NIC with an admin program, try 'linuxconf'.
Install Samba using the latest RPM (containing SWAT)and configure it from Netscape using the URL Both methods should be fairly straghtforward.
If the thought of these procedures fill you full of dread, why not consider putting Windows on your client =)

I have already played with linuxconf, and i saw what is called Basic Host Information, and Name Server Specification fields in the linuxconf, i played with the options, such as eth0, and so on. If i set the values of these options, will it be installed and configured? i mean, do not i need to load device driver of the NIC?? i thought it is like windows 95..In addition, how to i know that it is working and confiured correctly, is there any way to write ping command, the way it is with Windows ??

In addition, when i install SAMBA, do i just write or this is just to configure it, or am i misunderstanding things, i knew that RPM is redhat package manager, which is an insntallation tool, but how to i get it, does it exist in the menu of the GNOME?

I know i am asking too much, but, please be patient, i am totally new to Linux, and believe me, you are helping me a lot even with any hints..thanks a lot
The Smart Ant

Also, do:

man isapnp for info on that program.

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

Dont worry so much about configuring swat through , I never did figured that part out. if samba installed correctly ( client and server parts) just go to the command line in the root, type samba start.. if it works you will get the OK message. From here your linux box will pop on Network Neighborhood on the windows machines. from the command line on the linux box type smbclient <enter> for a list of instructions on sharing from the linux box at the command line. I had to install Netbui in order for my linux box to pop up on my windows machines. Does anyone know how to do a real login to an NT domain from a linux box? I had trouble with swat web config so I configured the config file right from the command line with smbclient commands, thats a lot of configing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back