Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RedHat Linux / Sendmail / Apache: Is there a way to set up...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxtricks

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2000
US
<b>RedHat Linux / Sendmail / Apache:</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a way to set up<br>&nbsp;pop3 (email) accounts for users whos website I am hosting on my Linux machine - without creating a local account for each user?<br><br>I have a user <font color=red>*matt*</font> in <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> who accesses his email from my linux machine because I created a local account for him...&nbsp;&nbsp;but he doens't need to actually log into the system - only to send/recieve remote pop mail.<br><br>At the same time...<br>I have another user whos name is <font color=red>*matt*</font> in <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> that is asking if he can be set up with a pop3 email account - BUT there already exists a global user on the machine with the name <font color=red>*matt*.</font><br><br>What do I do?<br>Thanks in advance for your reply.<br>[newbie grasshopper] <p>Rich Tricoche<br><a href=mailto:rtricoche@hotmail.com>rtricoche@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= not!</i><br>
<i>do... or do not. there is no try!</i>

Hello,<br><br>&nbsp;There are two things you can do:<br><br>1) Setup virtual hosting w/ appache<br>basicly, what this does is make <A HREF="mailto:matt@domain1.com">matt@domain1.com</A> and <A HREF="mailto:matt@domain2.com">matt@domain2.com</A> go to two different users, there's something called 'virtusertable' that tells sendmail &quot;When you see mail for matt@domain2, send it to the matt2 user&quot; You can find more information on this at:<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> I remember seeing a MTA/POP3 server on freshmeat (<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> awhile back which contained itself, and didnt rely on user accounts, but I'm unable to find it.. you may want to look for this aswell.<br>&nbsp;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back