Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

redhat 9 installation failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolice

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
SA
hi gurus,

i just downloaded i386 iso images (disk 1-3) and already created bootdisk. i burned the iso to CD by just copying it over. i booted from the bootdisk then it ask me for the language, keyboard, and install source then i choose CDROM and its says it cannot find Redhat Linux installation CD.

Did i burnt it right? if not, what is the correct procedure of burning downloaded iso? i also downloaded SRPMS but don't know where i can use that for. I know my bootdisk is ok but not sure about my CDs. how can i check that? i tried to run "linux mediacheck" from the boot: prompt and it went straight through installation.

one last thing, i'm installating to my laptop Compaq Presario 2500 but don't want to use the internal disk as it contain my Windows XP so i attached a USB xternal 40GB drive which i plan to load with Redhat. From the hardware setup i can see the drive. i ddin't formated it yet as i was thinking that it will be redhat that's gonna do that. is there any issue with that? i can use that to load linux system right?

Appreaciate your help n advance.

Thanks.

You can't create the CD by simply burning the ISO file to the CD as a file.

You have to tell your CD burning software to create a CD from an image file, then use the ISO file as the image.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Hi Sleipnir214,

Thanks, pardon me for my ignorance. By the way, I'm trying to install it to my laptop but using USB external 40GB drive. Is it possible? I've read somewhere that it is but I still don't know how. anyway, i'm burning the image now and we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back