Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RedHat 7.2 Sleep Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkid

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hey guys!

I'm new to Linux, so this may sound trival to most of you gurus! I need to know if there is anyway to turn off the sleep mode thing in RedHat. After a few minutes my screen goes black blah blah blah.. Please help if you can.

Thanks!

kid

Yours goes to sleep? Wish I had that problem. I hope the solution to disabling the sleep mode includes how to enable it, unless of course it's blatantly obvious.

I'm assuming you're using Gnome with Redhat since I know nothing of KDE. I believe there is a setting for the screen saver in the Gnome control panel (under the settings menu). If you can't find that there, then I beleive (sorry at work now working in Windows 95 hell) there should be a link to lock the computer under the top level of the Gnome menu. Right click that and you should be able to set some properties for the auto-lock feature.

-Venkman

Yes you are exactly correct, it is GNOME! I will give it a try!!

Thanks!

Tek

Well I gave that a shot, It does have fields for the screensaver, however its set to none. It's almost like it still has a screensaver enabled. but the screen goes black and when you wiggle the mouse of course it comes back.

Puzzled,

kid

I don't use the GUI much, but under screensavers there is a power management section. Your screen is going black because Power Management is turning your monitor off. You can uncheck the "Use Power Management" checkbox, under the ScreenSavers applet.

ChrisP ---------------------------------------
If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

I have the same problem. Screensaver is set to none, and power management is off. Still goes into sleep mode. What's the answer?

Try checking in your BIOS - you might have a power management section enabled in there that is cutting the screen off too.

hi there!
i have the same annoying problem!
i have redhat 7.1 and after ca. 5 min. if i am off my desk the monitor gets black, and if i am away even longer the whole pc seems to be down (harddisk locked etc).. and if i come back after that, my adsl link is down, and i can reboot to get it up again..
now the problem is that i have no BIOS (wtf?).. i dunno, but my board doesn't support this, i know that's crap.. but how do i config my linux so it doesnt shut down, cause i want it to make the work when i'm away..

thanks in forward

WOw - a PC without BIOS? How bizarre - what kind of PC is that kcope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back