Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocalHero

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
SE
Hello

Im planing on setting up a new server. I know that redhat 6.2 is a very stable release. What about 7.1. 7.0 had some problems, should i go with the new one or chose the older 6.2. What are your experience?

/Alexander

My servers are still 6.2, but I am playing with 7.1 on a couple of new workstations... no problems as yet, but as yet, I have not put it throuh it's paces... might be an idea to try it on something that is not quite as mission critical, and see how it goes... lots of the reviews for 7.1 seemed to not have problems...
AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

It really depends on whether you need all the new stuff in the 7.1 kernel. 6.2 is perfectly good, but doesn't have the code for the "larger" installations. I'd suggest looking at what your needs are and whether they match what is in the kernel included in 6.2. If they don't go for 7.1

The last thing is you can always recompile the kernel to fit exactly what you need. So you could compile a 7.1 kernel to add the extra functionality while keeping the 6.2 apps which you know work well.

It really depends how deep you want to go. Ohh, the agony of choice ! Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

If this is a professional decision sometimes you have to keep digging till you find a motivating element to share.

ie. If 7.2 would support key hardware, that is the reason you do it. You share that reason with your boss including him\her in the decision and the blame\glory.

Bo

When it comes to redhat, the x.2 release is considered the most stable and secure for its major version. If you are running a production system then you should probably go with an x.2 release unless you have other issues.

I actually know of major sites that are still running RH 5.2 systems because they are known to be stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back