Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

redhat 5.0 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have got two new Dell servers that are running redhat 5.0 and they are suppose to have 5 internal disks, I can see sda & sdb and these are raid 1 I believe, Is there a way I can 100% verify this?

Also what is the best command to list the available disks in Red Hat?

I have tried fdisk -l and parted and I was wondering if there is anything else thats better?

You configure your RAID controllers (and disks allocated to them) via DELL's RAID interface via BIOS or bootable CD, right? That's how you account for the disks.

Are you thinking you have a "missing disk" or something?

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

These servers are actually located in our Paris office and someone out there built them. There should be 5 X 250GB disks and sda & sdb both come to 500GB each hence the mirroring but i'm unable to see the other disk.

I'm pretty new to Red Hat hence the basic questions!

fdisk -l is probably the best way of listing the visible disks. You could also browse through the /sys tree however I tend to get lost in there. :)

Do you know which flavour of RAID controller you have? Dell do both LSI Logic and Adaptec based controllers. You should be able to tell by the kernel module that's in use (check /etc/modules.conf and lsmod output).

Annihilannic.

There should be 5 X 250GB disks and sda & sdb both come to 500GB

Not sure with Dell servers - you might find info by looking around /proc or /proc/scsi/scsi but generally not going to get lots of info... Is there a Dell utility loaded onto the server - HP servers have the cpqarray utility which lets you see the disk info.

My bet though is your guy in Paris has done the following;

/dev/sda - x2 250GB RAID0 - RAID0 (Stripe)
/dev/sdb - x2 250GB RAID0 - RAID0 (Stripe)

The other 250GB disk is probrably set as a hot-spare, the worrying thing is if any of those 4 disks die then your loosing data.

If you have 5 disks, setup a RAID5 or RAID6 if the controller supports it. Create your own / and /boot and swap - then create an LVM and put all your other partitions in that.

Configuration really depends on what you need from the server but in this current config expect it to fail with dataloss during its lifetime.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back