Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red X's on mapped drives - need help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
Hi,

We're on a Win2k network both servers and clients(Win2k Pro). I've got a couple users that have some folders mapped from the server to their machine and all used to be well, however in the past couple months, When they go into My Computer, the mapped drives are showing with those pesky red X's. Of course, when they click on them, eventually the drive reconnects and they get into the folders, but it's beginning to get aggravating. I read about using the net config server command to turn off the autodisconnect function and gave it a try, but we're still getting the red X's. Is there any way to resolve this problem without having to resort to logon scripts? The scripts are wonderful, but the office is small and my users map and disconnect from drives on their own and I'd like to avoid having to "hard wire" their mappings.

As always, thanks for the great advice and tips!

taducci, this looks good.

if you have departmental printers you can add them for your users based on groups too. Like this:

Case "ACCT"
WSHNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "I:", "\\PGCHICAGO\PG1\USERS\ACCT",True
WSHNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\PGCHICAGO\CheckPrinter"

For your questions, if the printer alredy exists then nothing happens. If the desktop does not have the drivers and the server is a Windows 2000/2003 machine it will push the drivers down for you.

Let me know if you encounter permissions problems and I'll hunt for an article for you on how to prestage drivers onto existing machines via script so you don't have to visit the workstations.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Great... you are really helping me out... Does this work on Windows 98-winxp clients or just win2k and higher?

Regarding sync-ing the time... does this work on all the clients as well? Doesn't the login process with win2k and higher clients automatically sync the time when they log in? Or is that just windows xp?

Thanks

98 support is practically non-existant. Load the DSCLIENT update on them, but i don't believe they will see the script via GPO.

On your 9x clients, you should also upgrade them to WSH 5.6 and install the WMI Core component if you want to be able to use scripts with them.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry, forgot to address the time sync question. You are correct that Win2K will sync on login. This allows you to specify where to sync to.

Regards,

Mark

You reference these items:
DSCLIENT
WSH 5.6 and install the WMI Core component

Where are these items downloadable from? Microsoft? Just want to make sure I get the right source.

Thanks

You will find DSCLIENT on the Win2k Server CD.

WSH 5.6 and WMI Core are downloads from microsoft.com/scripting.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back