Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red lines on my screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

caudalie

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
Hey guys, I just purchased a new monitor for my computer and well i noticed there are red lines that run across my screen when i open a folder or browse the internet. A friend of mine said that perhaps it's my refresh rate or i should adjust it. So i did, i went to the properties menu and set it to 60hz, restarted and then 70hz and then 75hz and restarted and my screen still has those weird red lines on my screen. When i play games and stuff i don't see the red lines they are only present when i'm on the desktop doing stuff. 75hz is the setting that doesn't have that many red lines on my screen, the other ones just create more lines.

help!

- thanks

Probably an issue with the video driver. Make sure you have the latest driver for your video card installed.

Also, what aspect ratio do you have it set at?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

umm i believe my video card setting is at the latest, and how do i tell what aspect ratio my screen is in?

- thanks

Right click on the desktop. Choose Properties. Click the advanced tab.

Common settings are 1024x768 or 800x600. You may have it set to one on the settings designed for widescreen monitors.

Regards,

Mark

ah i see, but my monitor isn't wide screen. It's just a regular samsung 17' CRT monitor...

My screen area is 1152 x 864.

these lines are really annoying...

- thanks

Bring your resolution down to like 1024 x 768. That resolution you are at is extremely high probally to high for the monitor.

I think your monitor may be faulty - if you want to be 100% sure, hook it up to another computer and see.

I'd try setting to 1024x768 and see if the problem persists. Also I would VERIFY that you have the latest video driver installed.

Regards,

Mark

How is the Display when looked at from Safe Mode? Do you still have red lines?

Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode, using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

How To Troubleshoot the Video Adapter Driver in Safe Mode in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back