Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Lights on BCM 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewarlock

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
I just replaced a BCM 1000 with a 400 and just received it today. I plugged it in and the Power Fans and Temp red LEDs come on. the Wan, Raid lights come like they should but not the Lan Card. Both power supplys work OK in other BCM's, all fans are running. I unplugged everything except the motherboard and nothing changes. any idea's.

Before the swapout the telphony worked but not the Vmail, IP or serial ports. acted like the CAP problem with all LED's flashing Green.

The problem is that now the system won't bootup at all.

Are you able to access the BCM via hyperterminal?
Sounds like the hard drive is corrupt.
All green lights are blinking?
Sounds like a corrupt drive.
If hyperterminal works try making sure that all services are set to auto startup. And run a universal platform initialization.

No green LED's only RED LED's for power and fan

There were two product bulletin issued for BCM1000 redundant chassis models. The issue you are reporting is either a failed motherboard or the MSC card itself is affected.
Open the chassis and see if you the word PORTWAY is printed on the motherboard.
If it is you will need a new motherboard or chassis.
IF the motherboard is not a PORTWAY board then you will need to replace your MSC card and keycodes.

The fan just above the CPU is failing or non operational. I had this happen on a BCM 200 and a BCM 400.

Since the fan over the main processor is not woring, the temperature of the chip is reaching as Nortel put it, a "thermal shutdown" point the BCM will cease to function.The motherboard (on the BFT)is probably fried or at the least damaged and should be replaced along with the cooling fan.

Good luck in trying to get Nortel to replace that for free, although they will give you a replacement MSC card!

Good Luck

LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND, WHICH IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.

It is covered under the portway cap problem. all fans are working. the red led's come on as soon as i plugg it in. even with all cards and hadr drive removed it's still the same. Opened case with Nortel and they gave me the new PAA
Number PAA 2005006015

I complain about Nortel all the time.
It's bull like this that really irks me and wastes my time.
Nortel has the gall to say that this capacitor problem affects the entire computer industry.
Funny but I have a lot of computers in my office, at home, etc... and they have not suffered the same fate.
The capacitor problem first turned up in the BCM1000 platform now there is the exact same issue in the BCM200/400 under a new product bulletin.
Hopefully everyone understands that I am not whining about Nortel just fed up.
A teacher of mine once said:
If someone you know makes a mistake once it could be an accident.
Most people learn from their mistakes.
If they make the same mistake again then shame on them.
Allow someone to make the same mistake three times then shame on you.
In baseball 3 strikes and your out.
I have lost track of the number of product bulletins affecting BCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back