Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red Hat 7.2 DNS- Servers will not use my name server for DNS resolutio

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2001
US
I am setting up a private network using Red Hat 7.2. I've purchased a Linksys DSL 8-port router in which I have 3 servers, a pc, and a printer plugged in. Server one is my primary name server, NS1. Server 2 is my webserver, WWW. Server 3 will be my secondary DNS, NS2. I cannot get any of my other units to resolv DNS from NS1.

I'm sure that BIND on NS1 is configured properly because from the console using nslookup and dig I can see that the server is doing both forward and reverse resolutions. However, when I go to one of my other boxes ( instance) and use either nslookup or dig it will not resolve. It tells me that it can not connect to server. Yet I can ping the nameserver from all of my boxes and receive replys with no packets dropping. Does anyone know how I can get my boxes to resolve DNS.
On the name server (NS1)

If dig and nslookup are telling you it could not connect to the server, that would indicate to me that DNS isn't running on the
Ping will only tell you that the machine is running, not what services are available on it.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back