Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recycling Old PC's into thin-clients 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tod

MIS
Mar 4, 1999
US
Is anyone having success turning old PC's into thin-clients? We have tried on a half dozen machines, and cannot get any to run with stability. Various problems such as frequent lockups, illegal operations and such. <br>We are doing a fresh install of Win95 B on these old Pentium and 486 machines. It is a mix of old hardware, no two machines alike. <br><br>Thanks,<br>Tod<br>

We have used old PCs as thin clients on just does machines. We use the Citrix Metaframe DOS client and use dos drivers for the network card.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have had limited success with this.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have one machine that works resonably well but at times the users somehow get four or five sessions open and it tends to lock up the session.&nbsp;&nbsp;

I have just implemented Citrix over 6 cities nation wide usin a WAN - we have a few DOS, win95, win98 and winNT clients that all access the citrix servers.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have also had to re-build a few older machines that use the thin client software.&nbsp;&nbsp;My experience has been that in most cases it is pretty stable for all OS's except for the Win95 clients.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have had numerous occassions were I would just take of Win95 and put DOS on it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't have an exact reason as to why, but I have had really bad luck with 95 and thin client software.<br><br>Besides, I think the administration is a heck of alot easier using DOS becuase you do not have to worry about the user messing up something in the GUI interface - then making you work nights and weekends trying to find out what &quot;file&quot; they deleted that made everything stop working.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Most users can't even type there names at a DOS prompt - let alone delete a file!&nbsp;&nbsp;So I think it is a little bit safer and intimidating.<br><br>Maybe I have just been lucky, but my 98 and NT machines work great with the thin client software.&nbsp;&nbsp;Every once in a while I will get a BSOD in NT, but nothing that is tragic.<br><br>Hope this helps,<br><br>Pinkman<br>

I have used winframe to revive 100's of 2 meg ram pc's ,but this proved to not be cost effective because of the licence fee imposed by citrix, I am looking for a linux or pc freeware version, winframe worked well, but was not price friendly.

I know this is a really late post, but since you are all using Citrix or at least terminal server; what are you using for management software on your servers?

Mike
kapski@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back