Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexGreg

Programmer
May 19, 2005
US
Sharepoint is extremely unsafe for users that have happy fingers. It still amazes me that they can ignore messages so readily. We have the occurence of lost files due to deletion on the average of twice a week.

My question is - what does it take to change the deletion process to in fact depsoit the deleted item into an archive library? We could then manage the files as needed to.

I did read the article in MSDN regarding the recycle ability but it seems way to complicated. Why can't the delete command just move the document to a 'standard recycle library' preventing the perverbial greif felt by users when they have messed up. In fact we had one so upset that he didn't tell us about it for 6 months because he was scared. I haven't shot anybody yet! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

I have seen the artical also but since I am not a programmer I cannot figure it out. My suggestion is to remove the delete permission from the libary for all users and only give one (trustful) person the permissions to delete an item. I do this for all the shared libaries. Users can still have their own personal libary where they can delete files. I assume you are trying to cut down on backup restores.

Good Luck Hope this helps

It cant move to a standard recycle bin for the same resson as when you delete any network rescource. Because it is not part of the users own computer.

And i do agree that the MSDN article is way to complicated for the avarage person.. but it is the only way to create a proper recycle bin.

Hello,

There is a 3rd party webpart developed called PowerRecycle, you can find information about it at
There is always a problem with users that accidentally delete files, I guess there is no way around that :)

We have implemented a 3rd party backup&restore system with itemlevel support, so I can restore a single document, list item etc. in a few minutes. However, the license cost for that system is VERY high. You can find info about it
Regards,
Thomas

Thank you everybody for your replies. We also use a third party backup system, Veritas, which has the individual document restore available. It is costly. The only thing that bothered me about the MSDN article was not its complication but the amount of space it takes because you have to replicate evrything. The idea of the third party usitlity sounds good but it too may be beyond our cost ability. So I guess I will have to pick up the speed in my .NET training and get my own web part built here pretty soon.. Once again - thanks to all for the input

Hello,

Which version of the Veritas will you be using (or reffering to)? I have yet not seen that they have come out with a backupsolution for SharePoint that supports item level backup&restoration (which individual documents are). I know that they are working on a new agent, but as far as I could tell it did not provide any item level backup&restoration features.

Since all the data is stored in SQL a normal filebackup software (such as veritas) could not restore a single document without having to restore a complete site, atleast not with the version 9 of the veritas software.

Regards,
Thomas

It was supposed to be 10.0 but apparently they missed their target. We are on the search for a release date and a possible replacement as their prices are sky rockeeting. Also give me a buzz in a couple weeks with another reply here because I may have a key tool from MS that will make things somewhat easier for a little bit anyways.

By chance, does anyone have a link to the article involving the recycle bin feature that can be applied. We have some pretty sophisticated developers in my company, and it may be useful. Thanks!

Here's what I do guys. I have a regular workstation with sharepoint portal on it. I create a virtual site in IIS called restore portal. I have the portal on a different port so no one will accidently connect to it (the restore portal is on the network). I have it set up like so. I have 3 scripts running every night on the main portal, the files are saved to a share on the portal server. One enumerates and backs up all of my WSS sites. The other backs up the portal and the last one backs up IIS metabase (They are all backed up to their own directory). I also have brightstor arcserve backing up my sql databases and IIS from the portal. With this backup strategy I can pretty much restore at every level. I've restored the main portal to my restore portal so i have a duplicate to work with. Form here if someone deletes a document library or individual document, Using stsadm, I'll just delete their site from my restore portal and restore it from the WSS backup I have. Then I'll use this utility (free) to pull the document I need and just re upload it to the main portal. Here's the link.
I have all of the scripts I use to backup everything if you guys are interested I'll post them. I found these scripts and modified them for my own use so I cannot take credit for writing them. they were free to download and modify. I hope this helps you all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back