Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recycle Bin Shows No Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7zr

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Used to have Norton. No longer have Norton. I delete a file and it does not show in Recycle bin. I checked MS Support and found the registry entry to be as required. Probably deleted a file along the way that should not have been deleted.

Where are these files being Deleted from? Network Drives, USB Drives, and similar locations bypass the Recycle Bin by default?

Have you set the Properties of the Recycle Bin to not save your files to the Bin?

Otherwise it sounds like you may have a corrupted Recycle Bin.

The Recycled folder itself can become damaged. Files are moved to the folder and the Recycle Bin on the desktop appears full but you cannot view the contents and the Empty The Recycle Bin command may be unavailable, or simply doesn't work.

Deleting the Recycle Bin and then restarting Windows, which will re-create and restore its functionality. To do this restart the computer and delete the recycle bin, via Safe Mode by pressing F8 at the WinXP Startup menu, and then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each line:

At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:
(Assuming it is C: drive)

attrib -r -s -h c:\recycler
del c:\recycler

It will be recreated when you restart

How the Recycle Bin Stores Files (Q136517)

Cannot Empty Recycle Bin or Modify Recycle Bin Properties

Cannot Delete Any Files in Windows

Properties for Recycle bin are set to put files in bin. Files are being deleted from c:. I have put a dummy file on desktop and deleted it and it does not show in the recycle bin. The recycle bin shows in explorer and on the desktop but again nothing in it.

I tried your fix by deleting recycle bin. The first time it rebooted it hung. I powered it down and then powered up again. This time system came up but still no working recycle bin.

I was trying a synchronization software and probably deleted some files that were needed. I know I deleted a bunch of recycler nprotect files. I thought I did not need them as I do not have systemworks on system any longer. Should I try to install system works and then delete system works again?

That was the easy fix too, you were an Administrator when you tried it?

It wont make things any worse by re-installing Systemworks, perhaps if you make sure to set it up to use nprotect, reboot and then turn off nprotect, before you uninstall Systemworks?

This thread might give you some help with nprotect?

XP Rubbish bin ?
thread779-746489

If that doesn't fix it for you try these, or you can try them first if you like.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for you help but here is what did work.

1. Open a command prompt window first.
2. Open taskmanager and end the explorer process. The taskbar should
vanish.
3. In the command prompt type:
rmdir /s c:\recycler
where c: is the drive and press <enter>. If it prompts you, answer yes to
deleting the folder or files. Repeat this for all your hard drives, if
you have more than one.
4. When finished type:
explorer
and press <enter>. You should get back your taskbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back