Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recycle bin icon shows full but nothing inside 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerald

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
GB
when I send files to the recycle bin, they are not there when I open it. What's that all about?

anyone got any clues?

Tks in advance

have you set you size allocation to small?? recyle bin properties

If it's just that it says it's got something in it but you can't see it, try creating something (file or folder) and then deleting it. then try emptying. If you Know you put something in it but it doesn't show, try re-building the recycle bin.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

thanks, did this and it is fine now

TonyBose:

There is never anything in my Recycle Bin. It states that there are for example 28 items. None are visible. I've deleted an entire folder in error. I thought I could restore it but there is nothing there. Nothing goes to the Recycle Bin. In the Recycle Bin Properties dialog box the size is adjusted to 20% for the drive. I get the confirmation question each time I delete, but any file deleted is gone. Not ctrl+del, but plan seletion of delete and it's history. The Do not move box is not checked.

How do you rebuild the Recycle bin?

Thanks,
Policekauk

Files do not show up in recycle bin when deleted:

Fix Recycle bin:

To re-create the cache file for desktop objects:

At a command prompt, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
Type attrib -h shelliconcache, and then press ENTER.
Type del shelliconcache, and then press ENTER.
Click Start, click Log Off Username (where Username is the name you used to log on), and then click Yes.
Log back on to your computer.

...Mac

I have been a witness to the same phenomenon as Policekauk

TonyBose
Are you saying that the deleted files showup in the bin after you re-create the cache file for desktop objects?

I doubt they will show up after the rebuild since you are effectively deleting the bin and rebuilding it. Windows rebuilds the bin after a reboot. You should be able to use Windows Explorer to see what if anything is in there anytime. I've never had the need to know if they were still there or not after a rebuild as I only use the recycle bin "because ya never know what ya might want back", and because I've only had to rebuild it a time or two. Almost 99.9% of what I send to the bin I want gone anyway.

...Mac

I eventually found what was responsible for affecting the recycle bin.

When I use the app Windows Washer which amonst other things cleans out the recycle bin, it somehow corrupts the bin. So when I next delete something, the bin appears to have something in it, but when it is opened, nothing shows up.

The solution is to do what TonyBose suggested in this thread i.e. after I have fininshed runniing windows washer and closed it down, then I create a file and bin it. Then empty bin. You may have to repeat the process, but you will know that the bin is fine once you look inside and see the file that you last put there.

Windows washer maybe change the settings of Recycle bin,right click R-bin, than click properties and check the settings and configure R-bin as You wish.

What's there to configure about the recycle Bin? weather to move deleted files to the Recycle Bin or delete files from system when you delete them. Makes no difference in my case......there is nothing there even if I just created the file.

Yes,but then You click apply windows should restore original registry settings to r-bin.(original key - values)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back