Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recursive DNS keeps failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
Hello, I have a SBS2k3 server. It has been running fine and here lately, I am having DNS issues. The DNS server fails the recursive lookup. When this happens, my clients are unable to access the Internet or internal network resources via the DNS name. A server restart does not seem to fix this issue. I have a Cisco PIX firewall and all appears fine. My temporary workaround is to input ISP DNS into the primary DNS server on workstations and local DNS as the secondary. Any ideas.

When you say recursive, do you mean that the DNS server is not forwarding queries it cannot resolve to the ISP DNS servers?

If so have you checked in the DNS snapin to make sure the forwarders tab has the correct ISP DNS server entries?

Yes, I have my forwarders configured correctly. When I add the same DNS servers in my forwarders to my DHCP DNS Scope options or manually add them to a statically addressed machine my DNS requests work great but my DNS snap-in monitoring still fails the recursive lookup. IF I delete my local DNS Zone and recreate it then my DNS all of a sudden works. It is an AD intergrated zone. I have never had this issue in W2k Server.

More than one nic in the server?
Are you using any TCP/IP filtering on the network connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back