Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovery 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvinaya

Technical User
Mar 13, 2005
US
I am using legato networker 7.1 running on sun solaris 5.8 server.
I have two different pools (in_house and off_premise), on the first pool I perform daily differential back ups except on wedneday night when I perform a full back.
The second pool is scheduled to run on the 15th of each month and perform a full backup.
Each one of the pools has sdifferent volumes assigned to it.
Everything is running fine except that when I tried to recover from the in_house tapes I was prompted for a lot of off_premise tapes also.
Shouldn't I only need the in_house tapes for recovery of data backed up during periods covered by in_house backup and off_premise only require off_premise tapes.
Can someone explain what is happening here and tell me how to correct this behavior.
Thanks.

Without knowing your pools configuration, how do you expect anybody to help?

I think it may be because in June the 15th fell on a Wednesday. If you try to recover during the period 16th -22nd, the date of the next full backup, you will require offline tapes from the backup on the 15th.

The in_houset Pool is of type backup and it is using the Default template,Group Default and it is set to store index entries. The off_premise pool is also of type Backup and it is using the offsite Template, and it is also set to store index entries.

This means that you only differentiate by the group. In this case, the backups will be separated completely.

But of course, if you run a recovery between the 15th and the next full backup (done by the other group), you would consequently need tapes from both pools. This is what VicMcD already stated correctly.

Thanks for the replies,
How do I set this up so I will not need the tapes from the other pool.
I would like to be able to recover the In_house data without needing the Off_premise tapes unless I want to recover the data from the off_premise tapes.
This is an issue for me because the Off_premise tapes are stored outside.
I was thinking that since I have 2 different pools with 2 different groups the recovery should be dealing with separate tapes.
Thank you,

Pools are intended to send DIFFERENT data during the backup to DIFFERENT devices/media. But you must be able to recover from whatever media the data has been stored on. So this is your problem.

The best way to do this is if you clone the media. However, cloning needs at least two devices.

The other method would be that you can do two fulls that night and send the earlier one offsite. However, please be aware that these two backups are not completely the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back