Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovery from Word Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabrony76

Technical User
Apr 23, 2001
US
Hi all,
I've created multipule forms in Word (with pages and pages of text now) that are locked with Text Form Fields, check boxes and combo boxes galore. Problem is, someone, who is now nameless but whom I will hunt down and scorn, unlocked the form.

2 Questions:

Is there any way to lock the forms again but salvage the info already entered in these forms?

Can I create a form in word that has some sort of protection measure against anyone unlocking the form. some sort of password?

Thanks a bunch,
Andy

The following is using Word97

1. If by salvage you mean retain the info in the form then

Select the document and press Ctrl F11 (this should lock the fields). You should then be able to reprotect the file without losing the field contents.

Or

Create a macro with the following:

ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True

and use this to reprotect the form

2. Tools - Protect Document, click in the Forms button and type a password.

Donna,
Thanks for the idea! I had to work around it a litte differently then suggested. I had to create a macro that would password protect AND Lock the Form because I could not apply a password once the form was protected. Below is the code i used.

Sub Macro1()
ActiveDocument.Protect Password:="yourpass", NoReset:=True, Type:= _
wdAllowOnlyFormFields
End Sub

Thanks again!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back